Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Need help with 7-segment display — Parallax Forums

Need help with 7-segment display

JamesonianJamesonian Posts: 26
edited 2005-03-31 01:40 in Learn with BlocklyProp
Hello!

I'm new to this forum (and programming) and I need help with the 7-segment display on Chapter 6, activity one,·from, "What's a Microcontroller?", by Andy Lindsay.· I made the circuit and tested it, and it worked fine.· I just·don't understand the pin map from figure 6-2, and how to get the other segments (C through G) working.··Any help would be greatly appreciated.· wink.gif

James
····

Comments

• ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2005-03-01 01:48
    Think of a 7 segment display as 8 LED's - each segment (and decimal point) controlled by 1 pin of the BASIC Stamp. Figure 6-2 just shows what BASIC Stamp pins (numbered 1-10) are connected to each segment (A-G plus Decimal Point). See Figure 6-11 on page 169 on how to wire up the 7 segment display.
  • Russ FergusonRuss Ferguson Posts: 206
    edited 2005-03-01 02:57
    You will be able to light each segment of the 7 segment display·by connecting pin 3 (or pin 8) to Vss and then connecting·one or more·of the other legs to·a resistor which goes to Vdd.
    Light Segment A - Connect DIP leg 7 to the resistor connected to Vdd while leg 3 is connected to Vss.
    Light Segment B - Connect DIP leg 6 to the resistor connected to Vdd while leg 3 is connected to Vss.
    Light Segment C - Connect DIP leg 4 to the resistor connected to Vdd while leg 3 is connected to Vss.
    Light Segment D - Connect DIP leg 2 to the resistor connected to Vdd while leg 3 is connected to Vss.
    Light Segment E - Connect DIP leg 1 to the resistor connected to Vdd while leg 3 is connected to Vss.
    Light Segment F - Connect DIP leg 9 to the resistor connected to Vdd while leg 3 is connected to Vss.
    Light Segment G - Connect DIP leg 10 to the resistor connected to Vdd while leg 3 is connected to Vss.
    Light Segment DP - Connect DIP leg 5 to the resistor connected to Vdd while leg 3 is connected to Vss.
    I have attached another diagram of the 7 segment diplay which may give another way to understand how it works.
  • Russ FergusonRuss Ferguson Posts: 206
    edited 2005-03-01 03:17
    You will have to decide which stamp pins to turn on or off to get the desired display segments lit. Just like you did with the numbers. It will make more sense as you do more of the activities in the chapter.

For the letter 'A' you will light segments:
    A,B,C,E,F,G

The letter 'C' will be segments:
    A,D,E,F

and so on....
  • JamesonianJamesonian Posts: 26
    edited 2005-03-30 23:10
    Russ said...
    You will be able to light each segment of the 7 segment display·by connecting pin 3 (or pin 8) to Vss and then connecting·one or more·of the other legs to·a resistor which goes to Vdd.
    Light Segment A - Connect DIP leg 7 to the resistor connected to Vdd while leg 3 is connected to Vss.
    Light Segment B - Connect DIP leg 6 to the resistor connected to Vdd while leg 3 is connected to Vss.
    Light Segment C - Connect DIP leg 4 to the resistor connected to Vdd while leg 3 is connected to Vss.
    Light Segment D - Connect DIP leg 2 to the resistor connected to Vdd while leg 3 is connected to Vss.
    Light Segment E - Connect DIP leg 1 to the resistor connected to Vdd while leg 3 is connected to Vss.
    Light Segment F - Connect DIP leg 9 to the resistor connected to Vdd while leg 3 is connected to Vss.
    Light Segment G - Connect DIP leg 10 to the resistor connected to Vdd while leg 3 is connected to Vss.
    Light Segment DP - Connect DIP leg 5 to the resistor connected to Vdd while leg 3 is connected to Vss.
    I have attached another diagram of the 7 segment diplay which may give another way to understand how it works.
    Thanks so much for the info.· I understand it now!·· smile.gif
    ·····
    James
  • FrankensteinFrankenstein Posts: 1
    edited 2005-03-30 23:43
    I am having a problem running a program on an OEM stamp 2 with parallax program editor and windows 98.
    When I run a program a second time, the debug window goes away. Help would be appreciated.

• The Dead BugThe Dead Bug Posts: 73
    edited 2005-03-31 01:40
    Look at the top of the editortowards the right side. There will be an icon that you can push that will open your debug window.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Name: Bruce Clemens

Work:· Clemensb@otc.edu
    Good Stuff on my Blog: http://theDeadBug.journalspace.com