Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
what next in the learning process — Parallax Forums

what next in the learning process

waltwalt Posts: 27
edited 2005-03-22 15:04 in Robotics
· I have just finished the book with my boe bot. I am going to keep working with programs. I have read a few electronics books. The toddler bot seams to cover a lot that is all ready in BOE BOT.· My objective is to build R2D2.· should I try the ocillscope by PARALLAX or would a difference approach be better first. I think I need a lot more programing experence. I have installed a servo controler and a bread board for motor components on the boe bot.··

···························· thanks Walt··

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-03-18 14:07
    When I'm asked "How can I get better at programming BASIC Stamps?" I frequently suggest "Solve the problems of others." What I mean is that you can make it an exercise to solve the programming problems posted by forum members. When I first started with the BASIC Stamp -- over 11 years ago -- that's exactly what I did: in the morning I would download questions from the Parallax BBS (this was before the public Internet) and do what I could attempt to create solutions and then post them the next day.

Just as an athlete lifts weights, we can make ourselves stronger through seemingly unrelated exercises. Your R2D2 project will involve lots of challenges, so all that you can do before you actually face them will be to your benefit.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas, TX· USA
  • Steve JoblinSteve Joblin Posts: 784
    edited 2005-03-18 14:38
    What's next you ask?· How about 6 other Stamps In Class tutorials!· I found that much of the materials can be applied to robotics.· For example, the Robotics! curriculum does not cover A/D conversion.· Many sensors need this cabability and you can only get a real good understanding of how it works in the Basic Analog to Digital curriculum.
  • Tom WalkerTom Walker Posts: 509
    edited 2005-03-18 15:21
    On an entirely different track...

You might start with trying to better define the requirements you are trying to meet. "Build an R2D2" is a fairly vague description of your problem (after all, painting a trashcan can give you something that LOOKS close...I know, I exaggerate to make the point...). Once you have defined the small goals (build a rolling platform that can support...hmm...how heavy is this thing going to be?...create R2D2-like sounds...etc...) that make up your bigger goal, you can better identify the paths necessary to tackle them.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Truly Understand the Fundamentals and the Path will be so much easier...
  • waltwalt Posts: 27
    edited 2005-03-19 22:44
    ··· I was exaggerating about R2D2 but I want to do something along this line. I am going to take all of the advice you guys gave me. I find this forum educational and I am going to study· up on·analog / digatil .· There· are some good down loads on this site. I am learning a lot from you guys

················ THANKS· WALT
  • GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2005-03-22 12:53
    Want to build an R2D2 bot?

First, get hold of some sort of tube, probably 10" - 12" in diameter and cut a chunk off that to use as the main body.
    Then get hold of a BOE-bot track kit.
    (It helps if you have a Boe-bot from before as you'll need the servos and stuff)
    Get a couple of pieces of plastic cable-ducts, the type used for network cables in offices)
    Two thin pieces should be bolted onto pivots at the top of the large tube and hang down to form the 'legs'. Onto those you mount another, slightly larger piece so that they look like an inverted 'T'.
    Mount a servo and track in each of the legs and draw the wires into the main body.
    Place the BS2 and carrier board at the top and batteries at the bottom.

Unless you really screw up the design, it should balance and move around on those legs.
    Later you can add the third leg in the middle, motorized pivots for the legs, a turning cupola on top(good place to mount the new ultrasonic sensor?)

AAARH!

Now I want to build one, too...
  • Ray IddingsRay Iddings Posts: 47
    edited 2005-03-22 15:04
    Gadgeman,

Its funny my son and I were just talking about this a couple of days ago. hehe

Ray