Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Building a bs2 into a home-made circut board? — Parallax Forums

Building a bs2 into a home-made circut board?

jakjrjakjr Posts: 88
edited 2004-08-06 01:30 in BASIC Stamp
I am wanting to build a crude object detector, it will ·contain a IR reciever, an IR LED, and·normal·red (or other color)·LED for showing when an object is detected.

I want the normal LED to light up when it detects an object and for it to turn off when no object is detected.

Now, heres the catch. Rather than building this on my BOE board I want to build this on a small·PC board containing nothing but the BS2, a 24 pin socket (for connecting the [url=mailto:BS@)the]BS2), the[/url]·IR modules, the LED,·a·LED for power indication, a dc power connector, and·possibly·a on/off switch and reset button (not needed·but just something extra to add cool.gif ). I·plan on·using a 4-AA (6V) battery box for power.

Anyways what I am wanting to know is if I can build a circut like this with just the parts I listed or if I will need the other components contained on the BOE board IE the transitor, the 2 1000 UF caps, the 2 yellow caps with 104 on them, etc.

By the way, I made this little picture of how I want it to look when done, and yes I have way too much free time yeah.gif .

Post Edited (jakjr) : 8/5/2004 9:29:59 PM GMT

Comments

• K de JongK de Jong Posts: 154
    edited 2004-08-05 21:34
    Why not? If you use pin 24 for the positive power supply. In this way you use the internal voltage regulator of the Stamp. For low power apllications this can be a good way to go.

The parts you list are for the external voltage regulater which can deliver substantially more power.

Succes,

Klaus
  • cabojoecabojoe Posts: 72
    edited 2004-08-05 21:42
    Sure you can do it. If you do, I would use a socket for the BS2, as the stamp is not inexpensive, and this project will no doubt be an experiment that might outlive it's usefullness. Personally I find when having several programming boards such as the board of education or the Lynxmotion Next Step board available to me it·lets me do a project on a whim, then make it into something else when investigating other uses for the stamp. To me it is much easier to install a bunch of jumper cables than soldering a one off board. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with your project. smile.gif
  • jakjrjakjr Posts: 88
    edited 2004-08-05 22:10
    Yeah im going to be using a socket, (check my post again, its right after BS2). The BS2 would be too expensive to waste on this piddly project smile.gif .

And yes, this experiment will deffinately outlive its usefullness. In fact its near to useless, but I just like making stuff so thats why I am doing it.

Anyways, thanks alot for the info.

·
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2004-08-05 23:35
    Prototype and refine your circuit on the BOE, then move it to a custom board. Just keep in mind that the BASIC Stamp regulator can only provide about 50 mA -- you may need more, especially if you want to "goose" your IR LED.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas Office
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2004-08-06 00:48
    jakjr said...
    I am wanting to build a crude object detector, it will ·contain a IR reciever, an IR LED, and·normal·red (or other color)·LED for showing when an object is detected.

---trimmed---
    By the way, I made this little picture of how I want it to look when done, and yes I have way too much free time yeah.gif .
    BTW, I would consider putting the solder rings on the bottom side...· turn.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Knight Designs
    324 West Main Street
    P.O. Box 97
    Montour Falls, NY 14865
    (607) 535-6777

Business Page:·· http://www.knightdesigns.com
    Personal Page:··· http://www.lightlink.com/dream/chris
    ·
    edited 2004-08-06 00:57
    LOL yeah I know, I just found that pic on the radioshack site edited it, and added my components.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2004-08-06 01:00
    jakjr said...
    LOL yeah I know, I just found that pic on the radioshack site edited it, and added my components.
    Yeah, I figured you did...Just poking a bit of fun...· roll.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Knight Designs
    324 West Main Street
    P.O. Box 97
    Montour Falls, NY 14865
    (607) 535-6777

Business Page:·· http://www.knightdesigns.com
    Personal Page:··· http://www.lightlink.com/dream/chris
    ·
    edited 2004-08-06 01:30
    If I could figure out what to do with the codes I received frem my TV remote (how to send them anyways) I could add 5 buttons that board and make TV remote. At least a TV remote would be more useful than an object detector.