Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
? about motor control — Parallax Forums

? about motor control

jakjrjakjr Posts: 88
edited 2004-08-02 18:40 in BASIC Stamp
I am wanting to be able to control 2 motors like this one http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F011%5F002%5F007%5F003&product%5Fid=273%2D223·but dont really know how to go about doing it.

Will I need some sort of device like the "Pololu Micro dual serial Motor Controller" or something simular, or is it possible to somehow connect it directly to the breadboard on my BOE board without blowing out something.

Sorry if this question is stupid, I am but a newb with high hopes and a wild imagination idea.gif.

Post Edited (jakjr) : 8/2/2004 5:55:50 AM GMT

Comments

• jakjrjakjr Posts: 88
    edited 2004-08-02 06:19
    By the way, I am looking for the most simple way to do this.
  • dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2004-08-02 15:35
    Hello,

The Pololu motor controller·is able to work for this project.··This is most likely the easiest way to perform this project.· There is also sample code for this product using the BASIC Stamp in the Pololu PDF file.· Here is a linkfor the download:· http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=30052Regards,

Dave
    edited 2004-08-02 16:44
    Thanks for the reply.

But I have a few more questions,

Where is the ground wire coming from pin 2 hook into on the BS2 board? Will it go into pin 5 on the serial plug.

Where does the logic supply pin (pin 3) need to be plugged into, will it be pin 3 on the serial plug?

Where does pin 4 need to be plugged in, will it also be pin 3 on serial plug?

Where does the reset pin need to be pluged into, it says it needs to be connected to a digital output normally kept high, would this be an I/O pin?
    edited 2004-08-02 16:51
    Hello,

I think that you are looking at the RS-232 connection?· On page 4 of the PDF file it will show you how to connect it to the BASIC Stamp.

Regards,

Dave
    edited 2004-08-02 17:18
    Yeah I was looking at the RS-232 connection schematic.

I think I might have figured out (some of it) now.

I connect pin 4 on the motor controller to an I/O pin on the BS2's board, we'll say its I/O pin 1.
    I connect pin 5 on the motor ontroller to another I/O pin on the Bs2's board, we'll its I/O pin 0.

I then use the SEROUT command to send a peice of data through I/O pin 1 to the motor controller which will then turn the motor on and set the speed/direction.

If the motor needs reset I run a command like LOW 0 HIGH 0 to quickly turn off power to pin 5 on the motor controller.

Hopefully I've got that part right.

Now I still need to know where to connect pins 2/3 on the controller to the BS2's board.
    Would one be connected to vss and the other vdd?
    edited 2004-08-02 17:30
    Hello,

You are correct regarding pins 2 and 3.·· Pin 5 of the Pololu goes to I/O pin 2 of the BASIC Stamp if you are using the sample code.· You are correct regarding pin 4 to the I/O pin 1 of the stamp.· You'll need to do a pause 2000 for 2 seconds on the reset line and make sure to pull it low you've mentioned.

Regards,

Dave
    edited 2004-08-02 17:34
    GReat, thansk for the help its much appreciated.

Ill be ordering one of those motor controllers along with a BOE bot kit within the next week or two.
  • ChipCircuitChipCircuit Posts: 23
    edited 2004-08-02 18:26
    Here's an interesting idea for you moderators.

Since this is a company site, whenever you mention or talk about a product, post the link for it.

It would save time for us to go hunt it down.

Dave
    edited 2004-08-02 18:40
    Hello,

I agree, just like I did in the first reply to this gentleman.· I will definitely do my best to add the product links whenever possible.· This is an excellent tip, if you have others related to tech support please feel to offer them.· We want to make this forum a useful tool.

Thanks,

Dave