Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Format Propeller to Python? — Parallax Forums

Format Propeller to Python?

Does anyone know if you can format a Propeller chip to be programmed in Python?

I would like to swap my current Props to Python.

Comments

• Hello Alman,

The P2 can be programmed in Python https://www.parallax.com/propeller-2/get-started/micropython/

Ken Gracey

• Unfortunately the Propeller 1 lacks the amount of RAM needed to run MicroPython. As Ken stated, however, the P2 does run MicroPython.

• I was hoping to run Python without needing to learn a dialect.

• A thought just occurred to me.

Can I run my P1 on Python using a I2C 512k EEprom as RAM?

• @AIman said:
    I was hoping to run Python without needing to learn a dialect.

MicroPython is a Python dialect

@AIman said:
    Can I run my P1 on Python using a I2C 512k EEprom as RAM?

It would be far too slow and die too soon.

Chips or boards running MicroPython are far cheaper than their Propeller equivalents. Look at the ESP8266/ESP32 family or laaater at the new Raspi-Pico. Give the PiPico still some time, it seems not to be free from hiccups yet.

• On the subject of MicroPython boards, Parallax sells the Micro:bit unit as well as a BOE shield to mount it on a BOE-Bot. The Micro:bit is designed to use MicroPython and should be relatively easy to integrate into most propeller projects. https://www.parallax.com/product/cyberbot-conversion-kit/

• yetiyeti Posts: 818
    edited 2021-02-23 20:21

Micro:bit is very tight.
    You get beefier critters (RAM and speed wise) for less bucks.
    But ok, in some contexts the eco system around the Micro:bit might be the biggest decision influence.

MicroPython v1.13 on 2020-09-02; ESP module with ESP8266
    Type "help()" for more information.

import gc

Yip yip, 1.14 is the current stable release, but all my µPy-1.14 on ESP8266 critters sleep right now.

So ~36k free on el cheapo ESP8266 (ESP12 variant) and on newer ESP32 modules you can have up to 4MBytes free for µPy.

... the code block above is broken, I hope someone able to fix it will have a look...

The borken code block as image

The simplest ESP32 chips have ~100k free, the biggest (I know of) 4M free.