Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Does any 3rd-party manufacturer has a FPGA-Board preprogrammed with the full Propeller2-logic? — Parallax Forums

Does any 3rd-party manufacturer has a FPGA-Board preprogrammed with the full Propeller2-logic?

StefanL38StefanL38 Posts: 2,292
edited 2020-09-08 13:50 in Propeller 2
Hi everybody,

does any 3rd-party manufacturer has a FPGA-Board preprogrammed with the full Propeller2-logic
including an easy to use update-function?

There have been so many announcements when production will start.
Somehow I'm tired of waiting for the original Propeller2-Chip.

I have seen that some Prop2-evaluation boards can be bought but I guess I will not make in into the que.
Then I looked up the pure Prop2-chips 08.09.2020 In Stock: 2,609.

Or a 3rd-party manufacturer who has soldered the chip on some kind of a prototyping board with just a chrystal and USB-connector

best regards Stefan

Comments

• StefanL38 wrote: »

I have seen that some Prop2-evaluation boards can be bought but I guess I will not make in into the que.

There are 117 Eval boards available right now. No sign up needed.

https://www.parallax.com/product/64000
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    Why use an FPGA when the real P2 chip is available now?

It’s on the board @Publison linked in the previous post.

There is also the P2D2 board that’s available shortly and a new pcb Parallax has in design called P2edge. Some forum members have built pcbs and some are wip.
  • While we tested P2 as best as we could with FPGAs a few years ago, there were things that the FPGA could not duplicate fully, such as the smart pin analog and also the clock PLL etc. Oh, and the speed. In fact we were running the FPGA at 50MHz but we can run the silicon at over 300MHz.
  • Hello Stefan,

I have a tray of real P2 chips right here. There are 80 left and I don't need all of them. If you want some just write me an email. FPGAs would be much more expensive and don't have the analogue smart pin features.
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,148
    StefanL38 wrote: »
    Do you have an immediate need for more than 2609 ?

• StefanL38 wrote: »
    Hi everybody,

does any 3rd-party manufacturer has a FPGA-Board preprogrammed with the full Propeller2-logic
    including an easy to use update-function?

Or a 3rd-party manufacturer who has soldered the chip on some kind of a prototyping board with just a chrystal and USB-connector

best regards Stefan

@StefanL38 Sticking to your questions - If by a 3rd-party manufacturer you mean any big names in the industry then, to my knowledge, a simple answer is NO.
    As Peter said, the FPGA is not the same as the real thing.
    Building your own board might be an option if you are willing to take that challenge but I guess not.
  • evanhevanh Posts: 15,192
    edited 2020-09-09 04:33
    StefanL38 wrote: »
    The chips are still classed as engineering samples to evaluate one minor change for Rev-C. Covid-19 delayed the Rev-C shipment of chips. It had been expected to make a Rev-C Eval Board run in May but got pushed back to July.

Full production will be next I'm guessing. Ken has posted something on the matter but I've lost track of that posting.

• Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    There is no difference between the 2,000+ Rev-C chips in Parallax stock and marked "-ES" versus the final production run due November? which will remove the "-ES" marking. ie the only difference is in the marking on the chips. The Rev-C "-ES" were used for sign-off for production.
  • evanhevanh Posts: 15,192
    Correct.