Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
I/R Decoder questions — Parallax Forums

I/R Decoder questions

Hello!
Most of the time I get this right. But.. I know that on the Arduino side of things it is possible using a frequent poster to that area of things, a library and even an example, to translate the stream from the detector to the numeric code that remote is sending.

However.. Is there a method to do so via the BASIC Stamp code? If it helps the hardware comes from a Sparkfun kit such as SparkFun Infrared Control Kit . And for starts it'll be that remote, then later it would be the more advanced variety of remotes. Sony made one a number of years later, which was the RM-EZ4.

Well... Some advice please. Oh and that also includes doing so via the Prop as well. The only problem would be succeeding in translating from the Prop's 3.3v to the TTL levels of 5v.

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,250
    edited 2020-07-29 17:52
  • Well... Some advice please. Oh and that also includes doing so via the Prop as well. The only problem would be succeeding in translating from the Prop's 3.3v to the TTL levels of 5v.
    The Propeller makes IR decoding easy and the 5v interface is not an issue. If you're using a standard IR receiver is uses an open-collector output with a 20K pull-up on the inside. This pull-up (to 5v) is more than enough to limit to the current to a very safe level through the pin protection diodes. Most of the newer receivers will also run at 3.3v.

With the Propeller you would dedicate a cog to IR processing; this allows the Propeller to receive an IR input while the main program is busy doing something else. One of my clients is a laser-tag company; for that project we have both IR receive and IR transmit cogs -- which means a player can shoot and be shot at the same time.

The attached demo will decode SIRCS signals and TV codes will be identified.

• Yes. Perfectl.
    Okay thank you Jon.

But what's that walkon from a b grade movie monster serial doing pacing back and forth by your doors?