Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
To gain a little more observance: P2 eval order for EU — Parallax Forums

To gain a little more observance: P2 eval order for EU

I'm going to place an order today at Parallax making use of the July 4th offer and invite all Europeans to join to save transportation fees. It's not only about P2, it's about all Parallax items. I myself will order Eval boards. accessory board and the newly available display..

Comments

• I already placed an order about 2 months ago :). Got stuck on transit from belgium to sweden for longer then expected :( . But I ended up not paying any tax, despite a large sticker claiming that I needed to pay :smiley:
  • ErNaErNa Posts: 1,742
    As an end-consumer VAT is applied, but customs for electronic equipment normaly are zero. Starting July the VAT is reduced due to Corona. As the 4th of July offer is valid until Monday there is still a time slot open...
  • Thank you very much for your offer!

I am still hoping that there will be a project board or a module in near future for a price, that can attract more and also younger people. (At the moment this seems to be the forum of the grey beards, me included.)
    So I have to continue to wait...
    Christof
  • LtechLtech Posts: 366
    edited 2020-07-05 18:40
    @ErNa I want A P2,

How can we arrange it ?
    Do every body place his own order?
    How can we get the transportation together?

Daniel
  • Ltech wrote: »
    @ErNa I want A P2,

How can we arrange it ?
    Do every body place his own order?
    How can we get the transportation together?

Daniel

Contect ErNa soon. He is doing a US order in the next few hour for a bulk order for Europe.
  • AleAle Posts: 2,363
    It seems I missed the boat :(. I only wanted one of Peter's boards (populated). O well. Another opportunity may present itself. I've been wanting to check back on the status of the European crew for a while... greetings anyways and thanks for the efforts ErNa !
  • Ale wrote: »
    It seems I missed the boat :(. I only wanted one of Peter's boards (populated). O well. Another opportunity may present itself. I've been wanting to check back on the status of the European crew for a while... greetings anyways and thanks for the efforts ErNa !

For peter's board send a pm to @erna. This was for a parallax order
  • LtechLtech Posts: 366
    edited 2020-07-06 18:42
    I get no connection with ErNa.
    I do not now if he did it...
    at this moment we still get the 10%.
    edited 2020-07-06 19:06
    I ordered 5 sets of boards yesterday. As there is still monday in the us the 10% offer may still be valid. Anyway: as the boards are not available yet there is still place in the boat, means: still a chance to save for transportation fees, I thind I can expand the order any time..
  • @ErNa, if no boards from Peter are coming it could be I need a second proto board. P2D2 would be first choice, though, both for the RTC module + reduced dimensions!
    If I interpreted Peters comments correctly it will be August to ship P2D2. Ones the design is finally frozen and the manufacturability is proven I hope there will be no shortage and for sure there will be base boards for all applications ;-)
  • K2K2 Posts: 691
    I am still hoping that there will be a project board or a module in near future for a price that can attract more and also younger people.

Yes! I know that Parallax are in a strange place...needing every dollar of profit they can glean from sales yet wanting to spread the P2 far and wide. All I can say is that if a minimal and affordable P2 module were available, I'd buy 10 of them today.
  • ErNa wrote: »
    If I interpreted Peters comments correctly it will be August to ship P2D2. Ones the design is finally frozen and the manufacturability is proven I hope there will be no shortage and for sure there will be base boards for all applications ;-)

I will keep an inventory of Peter's P2D2 in the US when they ship from OZ.
  • AribaAriba Posts: 2,682
    K2 wrote: »
    ... All I can say is that if a minimal and affordable P2 module were available, I'd buy 10 of them today.

What components would you expect to be on such a board and how many P2 pins should be accessible from the outside? What type of connector to the base board?

I have made some designs for a small P2 boards, and would like to know what others find important.

Andy
    Ariba wrote: »
    ... All I can say is that if a minimal and affordable P2 module were available, I'd buy 10 of them today.

What components would you expect to be on such a board and how many P2 pins should be accessible from the outside? What type of connector to the base board?

I have made some designs for a small P2 boards, and would like to know what others find important.

Andy

For me, strictly minimal and uncommitted - something in the flavor of Olimex boards in the ARM world or ProMini boards in the Arduino world:

All pins available somewhere and on 2.54mm centers, but not necessarily at the periphery of the board. Prescribed grouping is not required.

1.8V regulator(s) onboard but 3V3 provided externally. That's not best for precision ADC, but if the alternative doubles the cost of the board, it's not worth it.

Fixed frequency crystal oscillator.Personal preference would be to have the bottom ground pad soldered to copper. But I'm not stuck on that.

Seems like offering the P2D2 in many flavors was something that made life difficult for Peter. Many complex boards will come along but there's surely a place for minimalistic too, especially if that spells 'inexpensive.' ;)
  • AribaAriba Posts: 2,682
    Thanks K2

If you bring out all the pins to 2.54mm headers, the board is not really small anymore. You would need double row headers, like the P2D2, but this makes it not breadboard friendly.

My first design used the Arduino MKR format, which has not much holes for IOs. So I added some onboard connectors, like uSD, uUSB and HDMI together with an onboard RAM.

A 3.3V reg will not double the costs. By far the most expensive part in a minimalistic design is the P2 chip itself, which makes a really inexpensive board impossible.

Andy
  • whickerwhicker Posts: 749
    edited 2020-07-07 03:15
    Inexpensive is a relative term. I can't get hobbyist or retro enthusiasts excited yet, because the only option now is $150

What can one do for $45?

How about the P2
    capacitors.
    regulators.
    40 downward I/O pins for breadboard.
    two sets of the protoboard style upper pins (at 8 each).
    some LEDs at 56,57.
    And the protoboard style boot Dip switches.
  • Please ErNa, wat do I have to do to get the P2 in Europe for reasonable price.
    Wat do you expect I have to do.
    Do I order by Parallax now, and try to get it in the same transportation box of you order?
    Do you order for me, I pay in advance ?
    Parallax, can you help us on this, and give som logistic help for non US?

Thanks

If you bring out all the pins to 2.54mm headers, the board is not really small anymore. You would need double row headers, like the P2D2, but this makes it not breadboard friendly.
    I'd rather have double row headers than no access. I'd even prefer small randomly distributed solder pads to no access.
    My first design used the Arduino MKR format, which has not much holes for IOs. So I added some onboard connectors, like uSD, uUSB and HDMI together with an onboard RAM.
    Seems like a fine idea.
    A 3.3V reg will not double the costs. By far the most expensive part in a minimalistic design is the P2 chip itself, which makes a really inexpensive board impossible.
    Linear regulators are cheap but need copper and board space for cooling. DC-DC converters require less heat spreading but involve more components. I don't have a good feel for what would be appropriate for a P2. Maybe LDOs and supply limit of 5V.

Regarding pricing, it seems like the standard in the Western world is a 3x markup on parts and manufacturing. If that markup is applied to the P2, yes, an inexpensive board may be impossible unless you happen to be clever with solder paste and a toaster oven. Who knows? We may all end up adepts by the time this thing is over.
  • Ltech wrote: »
    Do I order by Parallax now, and try to get it in the same transportation box of you order?
    Cheapest shipping from Parallax is about 25USD, which is not too bad I think.
    Shipping 1 board from Sweden to somewhere in Europe will cost about 5 EUR (non traceable) or double that for traceable, and I assume similar prices applies in Germany

Biggest issue has always been the additional 25% tax we need to pay in the EU (including on the shipping cost here in Sweden), which seems to be waived now. At least I did not have to pay any tax on my last shipment from Parallax, even though a large orange sticker indicated I had to. It is now 2-3 weeks since I received the package and still no tax bill :)

Ltech wrote: »
    Please ErNa, wat do I have to do to get the P2 in Europe for reasonable price.
    Wat do you expect I have to do.
    Do you order for me, I pay in advance ?
    Parallax, can you help us on this, and give som logistic help for non US?

Thanks
    Hi Daniel, you are just fine. As soon as the boards arrive I will forward them and send an invoice. As long as Parallax can not ship I can order additional items with the same parcel, just the 4th of July advantage is no longer valid...

• I once ordered 2 P2 eval rev B boards directly form Parallax. Delivery took 4 weeks and I had to pay 45 € toll vat whatever.

So This offer here is quite usefull
  • Christof Eb.Christof Eb. Posts: 1,106
    edited 2020-07-08 05:39
    ... ?

Andy

Hi, I would like an affordable module or project board with:
    Must have:
    Power supply from USB.
    Serial for PC connection over same USB.
    Boots from SD card.
    Isp RAM.
    Dual in line for bread board.
    At least 1 led.
    5V Out
    3.3V Out

Would be nice for 4€?? plus using the additional ports:
    Connector for camera like esp32cam.
    Connector for 24bit audio adc and Dac daughter board like teensy 4.1.
    Small hdmi out connector.

(A stable compiler with inline assembler, not spin, not Micropython, libraries has to be "included")

Christof
  • 4 euro?
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    Tubular wrote: »
    4 euro?
    ... including shipping and taxes ;)
  • Additional 4€ for 3 connectors was meant.

Plus.

Sorry was not clear.

• Ah, that makes more sense