Burnt Component

Hi,
The other day, I was operating my Propeller Activity Board powered by the USB and an external power supply. I pulled the USB from the computer and one of the 2007 voltage regulator ICs burnt generating a column of smoke.

I can replace the part if a suitable source part number is provided.

Sincerely,

Discovery

Comments

• If you post the rev number of the board, or a photo, I can get you the right component part number.

Actually, a photo could be best, as there were a fair few versions in the early days of that board !
  • .. or it might be one of these:
    IC REG LDO 5V 1.5A PPAK	        497-4249-1-ND
    IC-REG,LDO,1.0A,3.3V,SOT-223	AP1117E33GDICT-ND

• That doesn't sound good. Maybe you could look at the prop board schematic and ID the reg.. I'm sure these Parallax guys will help you out
  • A photo is attached.
    1600 x 1200 - 356K
  • The part number is 7002.

Discovery
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 10,825
    edited 2019-02-01 - 17:27:24
    Discovery wrote: »
    The part number is 7002.

Discovery

On the back, is the part number 32910? Is there a Revision Number? A shot of the backside of the board may help.
    Infernal Machine
  • Discovery wrote: »
    The part number is 7002.

Discovery

That sounds more like a Date Code.
    Infernal Machine
  • A photo of the burnt part is shown here.

Discovery
    640 x 480 - 79K
  • Yep. Jellybean sort of part. This was the original:
    FET-NCH,60V,115mA,SOT-23	     Digikey: 2N7002-TPMSCT-ND

• Part of the VIN circuit. PDF attached.
    Infernal Machine
  • Excellent VonSzarvas,

I will order that part immediately.

Thank you,

Discovery
  • I had the same thing happen once with one of those transistors: pop, smoke, stink. So your experience is not unique. I don't recall the circumstances, though, and I just set the board aside and replaced it with another one that I happened to have lying around.

-Phil
    “Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery
  • Happy to warranty this board - contact me offline kgracey@parallax.com.

Ken Gracey
  • Phil,
    The circumstances were the computer sleep time was set to a few hours and when the machine went to sleep, it glitched the USB port that shut down the Propeller Activity Board. I connected a 12 VDC supply to the external connector on the board. The input voltage range is stated on the board as 6 to 9 VDC. I then changed the computer sleep setting to never sleep and kept the 12 VDC attached. For some reason, I disconnected the USB port cable and a pow sound was heard, a short spark of light was detected, a column of smoke was seen, and a stink was detected. I rapidly pulled the 12 VDC plug from the Activity Board and used a computer microscope to view the damaged part. It was cracked nearly in the middle of the part.

Discovery
  • Well, if the input voltage is stated as 6-9 why you use a 12v supply? Take a Hammer and destroy that power supply. Bad, bad thing, killing your board.

But as you can see Parallax is again super generous and offers to replace it. I think the demo board had a announced life-time warranty, I killed one pin on mine but never bothered to replace it.

Those brothers are some fine people, both of them unique and known to do things slightly different.

Enjoy!

Mike
    I am just another Code Monkey.
    A determined coder can write COBOL programs in any language. -- Author unknown.
    Press any key to continue, any other key to quit

The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT", "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this post are to be interpreted as described in RFC 2119.
  • Ken Gracey wrote: »
    Happy to warranty this board - contact me offline kgracey@parallax.com.

Ken Gracey

This is just ONE of the many reasons that I am a Parallax customer, but it is a REALLY good reason.
    Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
  • I agree!

The following is supported by the survivors of the Blank Plague.
  • Absolutely, Parallax has some of the best customer service I have ever seen.