help with pasm subroutines

I have been trying to get the math from the book to work as a subroutine as advertised. Tried several combinations and I cannot get them to work. Would someone please look at this as a second set of eyes.
Thanks.

It appears that it should be simple. I have a incrementing count program working but these will not work.

Again thanks
“Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.”
“You only live twice:
Once when you are born
And once when you look death in the face”

Comments

• You still don't stop the cog at the end of the code. And you call the writer-subroutine at a point that never shoud be reached (between the subroutines).

Also the unnecessary "mov x_var, temp_var" lines are still there. This will confuse a reader of your tutorial.

Here is your 2 subroutine code with better indentions and the above issues corrected. I also renamed the temp_var to varptr, because that describes it better.
    {{Multiplication based on the propeller manual page 380}}

CON
       _clkmode = xtal1 + pll16x
       '_xinfreq = 6_250_000   'MY BOARD AT 1OOMHZ  DIFFERENT CRYSTAL
       _xinfreq = 5_000_000  'QUICKSTART 80 MHZ  NORMAL CRYSTAL

var
       'Spin variables
       long x             'we pass this address in par at cognew
       long y
       long product

obj
       pst : "parallax serial terminal"

pub main
       x := 3
       y := 9
       pst.start(115000)
       waitcnt(clkfreq*5 +cnt)      'hold five sec to open the
       'serial terminal and enable it
       cognew(@asm,@x)              'start cog at the first variable address
       waitcnt(clkfreq*2 +cnt)      'give pasm time to do the work

pst.str(string("product:"))  'show a string on terminal
       pst.dec(product~)            'show decimal value of product on terminal
       pst.newline

dat
    '
    asm                  org

mov varptr, par            'move par to the local varptr (points to x-var)
                         rdlong x_var, varptr       'read in the x value from Spin vars
                         add varptr, #4             'incr varptr to next long which is the y-var address
                         rdlong y_var, varptr       'read in the y value
                         add varptr, #4             'inc varptr to the product variable address

call #multiply             'multiply x with y
                         call #writer               'and write result to product var

cogid   t                  'stop the cog
                         cogstop t

' Subroutines

multiply             shl x_var,#16              'get multiplicand into x[31..16]
                         mov t,#16                  'ready for 16 multiplier bits
                         shr y_var,#1 wc            'get initial multiplier bit into c
    :loop          if_c  add y_var,x_var wc         'if bit set, add multiplicand to product
                         rcr y_var,#1 wc            'put next multiplier in c, shift prod.
                         djnz t,#:loop              'loop until done                     
    multiply_ret         ret                        'return with product in y[31..0] 'this would be a subroutine

writer               wrlong y_var, varptr       'write the product from y[31..0] to the
    writer_ret           ret                        'product variable for the top object

varptr               res   1                    'reserve space for cogregisters
    x_var                res   1
    y_var                res   1
    t                    res   1

Andy
  • Thanks for the help in cleaning it up. I will look at your suggestions. I will study it to see what I missed.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.”
    “You only live twice:
    Once when you are born
  • BTW I get the cogid and cogstop to not leave the cog open.
    “You only live twice:
    Once when you are born