Basic Stamp Odds & Ends

microcontrollerusermicrocontrolleruser Posts: 1,169
edited November 25 in BASIC Stamp Vote Up0Vote Down
Have about three questions. Here's the first one.

This is for a Stamp DIP or OEM on a breadboard not a dev board like Homework board.

If you add outputs, inputs, keypad and an LCD what do you have?

Seems like it's a foundation for doing more experiments. A little system or workstation.

Book I'm using is having you learn to build those things.

I know Parallax boards use Terminal in place of LCD more or less.

This is 90's and early 2000's approach. I know things are shuffled around a little with new packages now.

Edit. Development Platform?

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Date Added Votes
  • I had a KIM-1 once upon a time. This was a 6502, a little bit of memory (a little more than 1K), a keypad, LED display and cassette interface (for loading and storing programs). This was one foundation for doing experiments and learning programming.

You could certainly do the same sort of thing with a Stamp module or OEM Stamp on a breadboard, but it would be more awkward and you would have to have a PC to compile PBasic source code and download it to the Stamp. This is not something that you're going to be able to use without a PC.

eBay has a variety of "microcomputer training kit" items for about $130 for various vintage microprocessors like the 8051, 6502, 8080, 6809, Z-80, all with the same sort of LED display, keypad, memory. You enter very small programs in hex with the keypad and probably debug them with a 'monitor' program that comes in ROM.
  • microcontrollerusermicrocontrolleruser Posts: 1,169
    edited November 25 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Hi Mike Thanks

Let me throw this at you.

Later in the book he covers:Analog to Digital Conversion, Radio transmitters and receivers,EEPROM data memory and interrupts.

Now. What do you have?

How about a control system? Edit.A 'controller' from micro 'controller'?

A complex control system.

More powerful. More control.Edit. So the book goes from simple to complex controllers.

How about that?
  • “Simple” and “Complex” depend on lots of things. What technology is being used? When and where are we? What materials are available? What if your controller had to be completely mechanical or maybe use fluidics? What do you gain or lose by having interrupts?

If you want to use a particular textbook and go through it in detail, you probably need to use the same system that the author is using. That doesn’t mean that it’s better than some other system, just that it’s the same and what the text’s based on.
  • microcontrolleruser, you're experiencing the magic of the the Stamps in Class series. These books, kits and the experiences were responsible for many efforts in Parallax (the P1/P2, too). We would like to create the series again with BlocklyProp as the programming environment, but we are short on authoring capability.

Process Control and Earth Measurements were wonderful tutorials, too.

Ken Gracey

• Mike

I've found my focus and I ain't letting go of it! No! No! No!

"If you want to use a particular textbook and go through it in detail, you probably need to use the same system that the author is using. "

This book is right down the middle. That kind of setup was how everybody did it. Look at a 2004 or 2005 Parallax catalog.

Adding new stuff to it later is fine.Right now. Just want to learn the basics.

Ken

Good tip on the Earth Meausurements. Sounds a lot like CCS's Sensors's kit.They are the Parallax of PIC C. Or close.

You know old PIC hardware and software in your warehouse make good Christmas gifts? Cheap too.

Okay. Coming up next. The next question.

• You know old PIC hardware and software in your warehouse make good Christmas gifts? Cheap too.

We don't have any old PIC hardware or software in our warehouse. If you're talking about the BASIC Stamp, it's still getting discovered by people. While the product concept could be considered old, the hardware in the warehouse is brand new!

But let's be serious for a moment. We can't treat the BASIC Stamp as our newest flagship. BlocklyProp with the Propeller takes it's place very well for all of our customers, especially with the FLiP. If I could have seen what we offer today (for the price we offer it at) way back then I'd truly be amazed at how things have progressed.

You might be interested in knowing that I'd love to release the BS2 as a new product with an updated theme. On my desk in Rocklin is a blue "Board of Education WX" with an A/D, socket for XBee/WX module and USB power supply. It's a fantastic-looking board, but we really didn't agree internally on whether to proceed with the product. The reality is that we've been short-staffed during the P2 development, and releasing an updated BS2 line with a Board of Education WX could have only been accomplished if we didn't do the BlocklyProp line.

I still like the concept of a BS2 new release. The module would've been done on a blue PCB, price dropped, maybe even open-sourced. Who knows? For now, though, that effort remains moth-balled.

There's your sneak look into Parallax for the weekend.

Ken Gracey

• "We don't have any old PIC hardware or software in our warehouse"

Okay. The set of Basic Stamps makes a nice gift.

If you surprise me with one of those I will make sure you get what I've given you every year this year for Christmas too.

That promise is written in stone!

You can take that to the bank!

"There's your sneak look into Parallax for the weekend."

Thank you. You're just too good to me!

Well.Back to the Odds and Ends questions in a little bit.