Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Scrampage - Hydra game — Parallax Forums

Scrampage - Hydra game

fkorffkorf Posts: 9
edited 2012-02-05 09:43 in Propeller 1
Hey all,

You are the mighty thunder lizard SCRAMPAGE! Destroy the city but watch out for the helicopters.

0204021731a.jpg

Download it from
http://fkorf.com/hydra/Fk_scrampage_010.zip

I also made a simple sprite editor to speed up development. Feel free to use it for your own projects.
http://fkorf.com/hydra/simple_sprite_editor.html

Finally, I'd like to release an El Jugador version if possible. Can anybody let me know what I would need to change/include to make it compatible?

Thanks and have fun,

-Fk

Comments

• RoadsterRoadster Posts: 209
    edited 2012-02-04 17:27
    Cool, I'll check it out
    I'll take a look and see what needs to change for El Jugador.
  • RoadsterRoadster Posts: 209
    edited 2012-02-04 18:05
    Pretty good, you might want to try and add some sounds.

Here is a version that works with Hydra and El Jugador
    Just un-comment the section for the board you want to use
  • fkorffkorf Posts: 9
    edited 2012-02-04 20:42
    Thanks roadster

I'm building on a linux machine. Are there any tools or methods for linux to help convert audio into spin?
  • Clock LoopClock Loop Posts: 2,069
    edited 2012-02-04 22:17
    fkorf wrote: »
    Thanks roadster

I'm building on a linux machine. Are there any tools or methods for linux to help convert audio into spin?

Two ways. Use wav files with a SPIN engine located by a search in these forums.

Or use a synth engine to make the sounds.
    I would go with a wave file if you already have sound sources.

If you have to make them from scratch, a synth machine developed for the prop would let you "find" the synth settings for various sound types.

When I made this synth-sequencer device, while changing the various sound settings, I found... every sound that the nintendo could generate. http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?115258-TheBlackBox-Release-v2.0-Propeller-HSS-FX-Sequencer-with-Digital-Audio-SPDIF

But for your situation, a SD card with wave files on it for the sounds, might be better? Then you can use linux to generate the wav files in the proper format (with what ever prop wave file player you choose). search these forums for "prop wave file player"
  • Ahle2Ahle2 Posts: 1,178
    edited 2012-02-05 01:45
    Very nice little game fkorf :)

Adding sound will be very difficult.
    The double buffered graphics approach used in this game takes 75% of the already limited hub memory.
    And more than 24% of the memory are used by your code; That leaves 56 bytes left for sound. :(

Using samples on the Propeller is just the wrong approach. Even if you use up all the 32 Kb of memory just
    for sounds, you could still only fit very few samples of very low quality.
    Of course you could use 1 bit adpcm samples and reduce the sample frequency below the acceptable mark (anything below 22 kHz is to low imho).
    Let's face it, while the Propeller is more than fast enough to mix 16 sample channels of better than CD quality audio using only a single cog, it all comes down to the limited hub memory.
    For the kind of game that you are making, I can't realy see any reason at all to use samples, since games of that era used PSGs anyway.
    The Propeller is capable of doing sound synthesis that outperforms most PSGs of the 80's, so that IS the only sensible approach. :)
    While HSS can use samples, I wouldn't trade low quality samples for better graphics or larger games.

Btw, you could use a single buffered approach instead and save 12 Kb of memory. You "just" have to update the graphics just after the "catode ray" have reached the position of a particular sprite.
    Have a look at my SIDcog demo for an example of a single buffered approach without any tearing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_GTOvkdM5Q

/Johannes

• fkorffkorf Posts: 9
    edited 2012-02-05 09:43
    Daaaang. It's good to know that sound engineering is still a beast. Thanks for the resources. I'll start digging and experimenting.

For my part, I'm using a Hydra without an SD card, so I'm limited to putting all graphics, sound, and game code in a single executable file. Frankly, that's the way I like it. Clearly adding any sound will require a bit of creativity and a lot of tinkering. Right now I'm looking into procedurally generated sounds, which will (I'm hoping) offer more variety for less code than samples.

I'll post any progress. Again, thanks for the input and the resources.

-Fk
  • laurent974laurent974 Posts: 77
    edited 2018-11-05 12:57
    I can't see any licence attached to the source code.
    I ported it to propeller BOE with fakeTV, but i'm not sure i can post it here. I will change also the command since i use a memsic instead of NESPAD.