Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Replacing/repairing SD card socket on scan tool circuit board — Parallax Forums

Replacing/repairing SD card socket on scan tool circuit board

I am new here but I have a problem that needs advice help. I have a rather expensive Automotive all systems scan tool that uses a Full size SD card to operate. Without the card this thing is a brick.
I have a situation where the SD card is not read by the device unless I put a piece of cardboard behind the SD card.
My conclusion is that the SD card contacts and the card reader contacts are not touching unless the cardboard is inserted to put pressure on the connection.
This expensive tool is 44 days out of warranty and I would like to repair it.
With the cardboard behind the SD card it works perfectly.
I have zero experience in circuit board repair but I am a “fixer” and a retired automotive technician with a degree in Applied Science Industrial Engineering.
I can solder and I have the time, patience and attitude to get the job done.
I just don’t know where to obtain the required repair parts and tools to begin.
So your advice and direction are requested.
I have attached some photos of the board.
I am certainly willing to let an expert repair this tool if one can be found. So far the manufacture has not given positive help, just general instructions.

Comments

• Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2017-10-15 13:31
    Can you post a good closeup pic of the socket particularly showing the soldered pins?
    We will need to identify the socket - at least the sizing to find a replacement part. With a bit of luck I may be able to identify a possible replacement part.
    Where are you located?

If we can get all these answered, then we can help assist you to replace the part.
  • I am located in Virginia Beach, Virginia
    I will try to get a better photo but the problem is that the card reader is directly behind the video screen and I do not see a way to remove it. It appears to be soldered into place. The sizing is a full size standard 16GB or less SDHC card.
  • The pin near the piezo speaker looks bad.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    Genetix wrote: »
    The pin near the piezo speaker looks bad.

Agreed, the solder on that metal socket tab looks mangled, possibly broken or lifted. A quick low-risk fix attempt is to reheat that joint with an iron while pushing down on the metal socket, pushing it closer to the board. Might just close that gap which requires cardboard.
  • Thanks to all. It is good to have help from folks who are knowledgeable. I will get a better photo of the reader and I will try the suggested repair.
    Just for an FYI, my wife says she is treating me to a new and more capable tool for Christmas. Sure is good to be appreciated and loved. However my nature is such that this issue will harass me until I get it repaired or really broke.
    Again thanks for your suggestions and general help.
  • Looks to be an unbranded Chinese SD socket. Here is an auction for a pack of 5 for $1.76 and here is one on a breakout board for $1.99.

As others suggested, try reflowing the pins while putting mild pressure on the top.

When you insert the card, can you see the tab near the buzzer lift up from the board? If so, then the pad for that tab is separated from the board and needs to be repaired. In cases like this, you may be able to epoxyRTV the pad back in to place. Do not use cyanoacrylate glue as the outgassing from the glue during curing can contaminate the display (I speak from personal experience unfortunately)