Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
20 Years Ago Today...? — Parallax Forums

20 Years Ago Today...?

ercoerco Posts: 20,254
edited 2017-10-16 21:45 in General Discussion
October 16, 1997 was the beginning, it was the day...

Everything I know about robots I learned from Lost in Space. Any mistake or problem can be undone by reversing the polarity.

Comments

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Oh, the pain, the pain. The end is near. I know it. Oh, dear.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    My back is extremely delicate today...

• Hated that show and that cheesy looking vacuum cleaner robot. Give Me that 1970' s StarTrek way ahead of its time.
  • When it comes to robots, it was Star Trek, and then Star Wars, and a smattering of Doctor Who. And of course Forbidden Planet.

Oddly enough he's the only one left.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2017-10-17 09:06
    There were very few robots in the original Start Trek.

It all starts with Metropolis

1454065700-56ab4824806c4-005-metropolis-theredlist.jpg

and then Forbidden Planet.

• When it comes to robots, it was Star Trek, and then Star Wars...

And in between were the drones from Silent Running. Which I've heard inspired George Lucas.

• For some reason 1997 was a popular year for important events to occur in science fiction:
    * HAL 9000's birth (in the book)
    * Judgment Day (Terminator series)
    * The Predator shows up on Earth
    * And of course LIS.

I was a BIG fan when I was a kid. Even then, though, I noticed that it was always so easy to disable the robot (usually by removing a conveniently front-mounted circuit board). Now I can't stand it.

My parents would watch it with me. Sorry, Mom & Dad. I apologize.
    DigitalBob wrote: »
    Hated that show and that cheesy looking vacuum cleaner robot. Give Me that 1970' s StarTrek way ahead of its time.

Haterz gon' hate.

Same designer as Robby the Robot, Bob Kinoshita.
  • Nice Mr. Roboto! I read your article in the latest edition of "Servo" and it brought back memories of when I owned a toy version of B-9 as a kid. That was probably the thing that got me interested in Tech since I wanted to understand how it worked.
    Thanks! I just submitted a massive article for December, think it's my best one yet.