Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Parallax Funding Through Online Educational Classes? — Parallax Forums

Parallax Funding Through Online Educational Classes?

Within the P2 forum, there has been discussion of additional funding needed for the P2.

I was thinking that perhaps Parallax could gain some extra income, by providing an in depth, online curriculum pertaining to Propeller usage and programming.

Perhaps some of the subjects of study could be:
In Depth Look at Programming the Propeller with Tachyon
In Depth Look at Programming the Propeller with PASM
In Depth Look at Programming the Propeller with SPIN
In Depth Look at Programming the Propeller with C
In Depth Look at Programming the Propeller with FORTH
In Depth Use of the Propeller Counters
In Depth Bit Manipulation and the Propeller
So on... So Forth...

I am not talking about hobbyist type classes, I am talking about classes for those professionals who use the Propeller, but starting off at ground zero, assuming the students know nothing about the subject, but when finished with the course, the student should be very knowledgeable about the given subject.

I would be willing to wager that Peter Jakacki could raise some serious cash with online courses pertaining to Tachyon, but in no way would I suggest that he do this without Parallax. :)

Anyhow, it is just a thought.

Comments

• I'd be interested in that, especially the PASM and C courses. I think the prop chips are awesome, and I'm trying to use the Parallax Flight Controller for a project, so it would be great to have very in-depth course on the propeller. Depending on how in-depth it was, I'd be willing to spend money on training, and I'm just a hobbyist (developer by trade, just not an embedded developer).

Are we talking about classes on P1, P2, or both? I don't know how feasible it is, but it would be nice if a lot of the training covered both.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Parallax is already deriving a lot of it's revenue from educational materials and support for schools. All good stuff. Looks like they know what they are doing there.

The world of online courses is all ready flooded. Hard to compete there.

Looks to me like Parallax has this covered already.

As to the list of topics suggested:

Tachyon - Most of the world has not heard of it and does not care.
    PASM - As above.
    SPIN - As above.
    Programming the Propeller with C - It's C right. Same as everywhere else.
    FORTH - See first item above.
    Propeller Counters - counters is counters whatever machine.
    Bit Manipulation - bit manipulation is bit manipulation whatever machine.

Having said that, which sounds very negative, the Propeller and it's tools are an integrated whole that make teaching all of the above so much simpler.

That "so much simpler" part is what seems to be hard to explain to people.