Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
How come so many 5 star threads here? - Page 3 — Parallax Forums

How come so many 5 star threads here?

13»

Comments

• davidsaundersdavidsaunders Posts: 1,559
    edited 2015-04-15 20:33
    porcupine wrote: »
    Fitting it in 32k hub ram would be ... a challenge :-)

I don't know why you'd want a full OS on the prop?
    Simple, to look at realistic chalenges in doing so before the Prop 2 is available. The Propeller 2 is a more realistic target.
  • markmark Posts: 252
    edited 2015-04-15 23:27
    It all makes sense now. There's at least 5 stars in every thread :)
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2015-04-16 01:33
    So why not this thread :(
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2015-04-16 01:37
    A far more realist challenge would be getting a C64 emulation running on the Propeller. At least it sounds doable.

I got as far as running CP/M with the ZiCog Z80 emulator. PullMoll managed Sinclair emulation with his qz80 emulator.

Some folks here were working on a 6502 emulator and the C64 idea. I have no idea what happened to that.
  • cruXiblecruXible Posts: 78
    edited 2015-04-16 01:39
    Just use a PC, format the DS/DD disks on the Atari ST, download the software that is available free (a lot of the ST class software is), and use the PC to write the files to disk.

The reason for formating on the ST is the bootsector, slightly different though close enough to work.

Thanks, I will have to do that. I really want to try composing on it again. I wish I would never have painted it years ago. For some reason I thought it would look cool with a white and teal paint job. It looks very bad.
    edited 2015-04-16 05:06
    Heater. wrote: »
    A far more realist challenge would be getting a C64 emulation running on the Propeller. At least it sounds doable.

I got as far as running CP/M with the ZiCog Z80 emulator. PullMoll managed Sinclair emulation with his qz80 emulator.

Some folks here were working on a 6502 emulator and the C64 idea. I have no idea what happened to that.
    That would be cool as well.

Though as MiNT goes there is a reason I specified a subset. With the core FILE I/O calls plus FS driver, plus text display (as only talking about MiNT not the rest), plus the core tasking related functions (fork, piping, etc), I think that getting it to fit in a 32KB prop with enough room to run a few applications would be quite doable. Heck remember Lunix runs on the stock C64 with RAM to spare, and MiNT is not that much more complicated.
    edited 2015-04-16 05:07
    cruXible wrote: »
    Thanks, I will have to do that. I really want to try composing on it again. I wish I would never have painted it years ago. For some reason I thought it would look cool with a white and teal paint job. It looks very bad.
    You wil have to use a real FDC on the PC, none of the new USB stuff (the USB stuff causes trouble with DD disks).
  • ersmithersmith Posts: 5,919
    edited 2015-04-16 11:14
    As a test run do you think it may be possible to port a subset of the MiNT kernel to the Propeller 1?

It probably wouldn't be useful -- by the time the OS was installed there wouldn't be space for applications. The Prop2 might be a more interesting target, if/when it arrives.
    edited 2015-04-16 20:34
    ersmith wrote: »
    It probably wouldn't be useful -- by the time the OS was installed there wouldn't be space for applications. The Prop2 might be a more interesting target, if/when it arrives.
    You are likely correct. Besides if we are going to take the time to port it to even the Prop 2, I would want to do a ground up rewrite of the kernel, so it can have a 2 clause BSD style license.
  • ersmithersmith Posts: 5,919
    edited 2015-04-17 04:58
    You are likely correct. Besides if we are going to take the time to port it to even the Prop 2, I would want to do a ground up rewrite of the kernel, so it can have a 2 clause BSD style license.

I still own the copyright to MiNT 0.95, so if you really feel strongly about the license you could start with that (I'd be OK with re-licensing it under the BSD license). After that version Atari got involved, so changing the copyright terms would involve tracking down whoever currently owns the rights... probably a non-trivial task. OTOH the final license Atari used was pretty generous and not all that different from the BSD license. It did require that recipients be able to redistribute MiNT freely, so I suppose in that sense it's a bit more restrictive than BSD, but if I remember correctly it didn't require source code release.

Eric
    edited 2015-04-17 09:45
    ersmith wrote: »
    I still own the copyright to MiNT 0.95, so if you really feel strongly about the license you could start with that (I'd be OK with re-licensing it under the BSD license). After that version Atari got involved, so changing the copyright terms would involve tracking down whoever currently owns the rights... probably a non-trivial task. OTOH the final license Atari used was pretty generous and not all that different from the BSD license. It did require that recipients be able to redistribute MiNT freely, so I suppose in that sense it's a bit more restrictive than BSD, but if I remember correctly it didn't require source code release.

Eric
    I think that MiNT 0.95 would be a good starting point anyway, it has always been my preferred version. though I guess I will have to look and see what the current license is on the kernel.

I do thank you much, I look forward to a great project, one in which Eric Smith is given full credit for getting MiNT running on the Propeller 2, with no more than a foot note of what I do (I plan on doing as much of the work as I can).