Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Complexity — Parallax Forums

Complexity

potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,254
edited 2014-02-23 21:32 in Propeller 2
Well, I finally got some quality time with the latest build.

You know, I find myself familiar with the changes in a basic sense. When I see an error, or something won't assemble, I generally know what it is. But, there is a lot of reading through docs, and reading through old docs to see what I might have to unlearn too.

One thing stung me last night:

vsynch          waitvid #v_bs,#c_sh             'vertical sync high
                waitvid #v_hs,#c_sl
                waitvid #v_hr,#c_sh
                djnz    x,@vsynch
                ret

...used to be:
vsynch                  waitvid v_bs,c_sh               'vertical sync high
                                waitvid v_hs,c_sl
                                waitvid v_hr,c_sh
                                djnz    x,@vsynch
vsynch_ret              ret

Was getting the fractal program I wrote moved over to the new build. Ended up doing a copy-paste from the current video sample driver code, into the program in order to see this one. Old habits die hard.

I'm still having trouble firing off another COG. The way the old code was written, the load address was compensated for with something like:
fstart_addr             long    @fstart+$e80

I seem to recall we've fixed this, or there is a directive to fix it, so that the label "fstart" could be used directly, but I can't seem to find where that discussion was.

Our current P2 doc is good. Most answers I needed are there. I think we could use a periodic table of instructions, and some clever reference card type things, but I found the doc useful.

Assembler changes aren't so well documented though.

Another one I ran into was the changes on waitvid. Now it can hold larger immediate values. This is good, because a simple, non parametric, video driver can be done thus:
CON

s             = 43            'scales DAC output (s = 0..128)
  r             = s * 78 / 128  'adjusts for modulator expansion

lntsc         = 3640          'NTSC colorburst cycles per line * 16
  sntsc         = 624           'NTSC colorburst cycles per sync * 16

v_bo          = (lntsc-sntsc-256*9)/2 'left/right border

v_bs          = 100                   'before sync            horizontal sync
  v_sn          = 269                   'sync
  v_bc          = 50                    'before colorburst
  v_cb          = 144                   'colorburst
  v_bv          = sntsc-144-50-269-100  'before visible

--more stuff--

hsync           waitvid #v_bs,#c_sh             'horizontal sync
                waitvid #v_sn,#c_sl
                retd
                waitvid #v_bc,#c_sh
                waitvid #v_cb,c_cb
                waitvid #v_bv,#c_sh

...which is good! However, I ran into some trouble redoing it as cog variables so that it can be parameterized:
DAT                              org

---some stuff---

hsync                           waitvid v_bs,c_sh               'horizontal sync
                                waitvid v_sn,c_sl
hsync_ret               retd                                    'Pipeline... get ready to return
                                waitvid v_bc,c_sh
                                waitvid v_cb,c_cb
                                waitvid v_bv,c_sh               'End of subroutine and actually return

DAT

v_bo            long    (lntsc-sntsc-256*9)/2   'left/right border

v_bs            long    100                     'before sync            horizontal sync
v_sn            long    269                     'sync
v_bc            long    50                      'before colorburst
v_cb            long    144                     'colorburst
v_bv            long    sntsc-144-50-269-100    'before visible

v_hs            long    135                     'high sync              high vertical sync
v_hr            long    lntsc/2-135-100         'high sync remainder

...only to get "register cannot exceed $1ff" at times I didn't yet understand why. I'm sure it has to do with the new addressing types, but we've only lightly discussed those. Older code could have constants with the same labels / names as COG locations could. I don't see that being true anymore, but it could be something else too. I've just started digging, and for now got a successful assembly, I think, by eliminating that redundancy.

Kind of random, but what is the current monitor entry code? Went looking for that too, didn't find it yet.

All in all, I got some things running, but for cog starting. I'm about to go through, and generate a listing so I can pick through it, sans the monitor and it's bug Chip is fixing right now.

Overall, we've moved farther away from that, "jump in and get it running" attribute we all value, and I'm not yet even touching all the task complexity or HUBEX..

There is quite a bit here to absorb now, and only some of that is related to unlearning. A new user is going to have to get to work! We might consider presenting a core subset of features and PASM to get people going, just to keep the number of things one has to know to a sane level at first so that success is likely.

Just some observations and questions, I'm hoping generate some quick answers while I'm looking for them myself. :)

Comments

• potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,254
    edited 2014-02-23 17:13
    Some info:

It's @start_address+$e00, not $e80. I went back a few pnut.exe versions and still got "register exceeds $1ff" when mixing constants and cog labels. Not sure what happened on that one, and it's a lot of work to go back through the forum posts to see what build that code actually ran on.

Which leaves the monitor entry, which is:

' Run monitor
    '
    monitor coginit monitor_ptr,monitor_par
    monitor_ptr long $70C 'monitor address
    monitor_par long 90 << 9 + 91 'monitor parameter (tx_pin=90, rx_pin=91)
    '
    I've not been able to make this work on a second Prop Plug. Is this correct? Monitor comes up normally on P2 start, but does not respond when called.
  • ozpropdevozpropdev Posts: 2,791
    edited 2014-02-23 17:17
    Hi Potatohead

A couple of quick observations
    fstart_addr             long    @fstart+$e80

is now

fstart_addr             long    @fstart

On "register cannot exceed $1ff"

Try inserting a ORGH directive before your variables in HUB.

Cheers
    Brian
  • ozpropdevozpropdev Posts: 2,791
    edited 2014-02-23 17:22
    From latest docs
     Usage:	cognew($6E4, rx_pin << 9 + tx_pin)	'start monitor in new cog
    '
    '		rx_pin bit 8 can be set for rx inversion
    '		tx_pin bit 8 can be set for tx inversion
    '

edited 2014-02-23 17:23
    You know, I swear I read that. Thanks! :)

Well, maybe. It won't answer on either the default pins, or pins 3 & 5, where I will normally insert a second Prop Plug.
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    edited 2014-02-23 21:09
    There's been some turbulence through all the enhancements we've made and there are some phase disparities in the last few releases between Prop2, its ROM code, and PNut.exe. In the end, some details will have changed, but it's not going to be too much to spool into your head. This is a huge exercise in sausage making. What finally comes out will be good and agreeable, I'm certain.
    edited 2014-02-23 21:32
    I am too Chip. Got over a big chunk of the unlearning / learning hump this evening! Code is running now. Honestly, I'm having a good time. Was just a bit surprised at what had transpired. Tons got done! My post wasn't intended to be negative, just an observation on where we've come and what it might mean to users.

Not done with this yet, but here is the fractal ported to this FPGA build. It needs some basic navigation to examine the set more interactively... :)

Yes, it's TV. I may change that. Or you can! Post if you do please. That's the display I have setup on my laptop, via capture card... For what it's worth, the new video signal quality is in a whole other league compared to P1. Besides, I like TV.

@ozpropdev, Brian --> Thanks for your postings! I've learned a lot. :)