Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Parallax Expo in May.... looking for a fellow cheapskate — Parallax Forums

Parallax Expo in May.... looking for a fellow cheapskate

Jim FouchJim Fouch Posts: 395
edited 2013-02-06 15:54 in Announcements
I'm looking to find someone else that wants to go to the Expo in May. I have been to these in the past (2009 & 2010) and am really looking to go again.

I'm trying to keep my expenses as low as possible, so......

I'm looking to find someone who may be interested in sharing one of the suites at the StayBridge and maybe share on a rental car.

I'd be flying in from Erie, PA on Friday and probably fly back out on Monday.

In the past Parallax had a great rate of ~$90 + Tax/night at the Stay Bridge. I think the room has a pull out couch, but I will need to check. Rental cars are not not too cheap in CA, so splitting that would also help alot.

Thanks,

Jim Fouch
FOUCH SOFTWARE

Comments

• Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2013-01-31 08:55
    That'd be great to have you in attendance, Jim. One thing to consider is that you can take Super Shuttle from SMF to StayBridge, and from this hotel you are within walking distance of Parallax and William Jessup University. I'm sure there are others who will be able to take you back to SMF airport if need a ride.

And good idea about cutting costs of the hotel room, too. Let's see if somebody speaks up - there's no sense in burning another fifty bucks when there's plenty of stuff at the EXPO that warrants your money!
  • Jim FouchJim Fouch Posts: 395
    edited 2013-01-31 10:35
    Thanks Ken for the reply. I was starting to think I was scaring people. lol

I really enjoyed the 2009 & 2010 Expos. I'll still be able to make this year, but was hoping to find someone to share a room with to keep expenses down.

In 2009 I rented a Camaro (just the v6 not the v8) and that cost me over $650 for 4 days. I really think I should have been able to keep the hood or at least one of the doors for that price. lol

There are also plenty of good places to eat within walking distance of the hotel too.

Do you guys have a fixed rate on the hotel yet?

Thanks,

Jim Fouch
  • Jen J.Jen J. Posts: 649
    edited 2013-01-31 12:15
    Hi Jim,

Thank you so much for your interest in the Expo.
    We do have fixed rates on the hotel, here is the information:

Staybridge Suites (Ask for Parallax Expo Rate)
    6664 Lonetree Blvd., Rocklin, CA
    Phone: (916) 781-7500
    $99 (Studio Suite with Full Kitchen + Hot Breakfast Buffet)
    $110 (One Bedroom Upgrade Suite + Hot Breakfast Buffet)

Look forward to seeing you there!
    Cheers, Jen J.
    edited 2013-01-31 15:31
    Looks like Staybridge Suites increased their rate by ten bucks on us.

That should be okay as long as they give us a conference room all night Friday, all night Saturday, and ....

Jen, Lauren, Emily or I will see that we've go the conference room both nights for after-hours pizza, programming sessions, 3D printing, CNC machining, quadcopter flights, plasma cutting and waterjets, robot battles and whatever else.

Ken Gracey
    edited 2013-01-31 15:34
    I think that is totally within the realm of possibility. :)
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2013-01-31 15:43
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    Jen, Lauren, Emily or I will see that we've go the conference room both nights for after-hours pizza, programming sessions, 3D printing, CNC machining, quadcopter flights, plasma cutting and waterjets, robot battles and whatever else.

The Staybridge Hackerspace!

Last time, I stayed at the Heritage Inn for $58 per room per night, and it was decent. It was also pretty much the cheapest place that I could find :)
    edited 2013-01-31 15:49
    SRLM, we were looking for cheapskates and you appeared. :)

That $58 rate isn't bad, but I'm not sure what Heritage Inn offers for breakfast. It'd be hard to compare with the breakfast at StayBridge. Somehow, this local StayBridge has just got it all together - something unusual for a large company with so many hotels. They've got a local style of support and amazing service. But as you pointed out, and Jim mentioned, sometimes you just need a place to stow your body for a couple of hours. Forty bucks, is well, $40, or a couple of sensors, another Propeller board, or ...

Cheap hotels can be great, unless you stayed in the one I got to stay at in Fort Worth, TX last year. 85F with A/C full-blast, highway noise, cinder block walls and a bed spread that should've been burned in the parking lot. Guess I deviated a bit from my normal stuffy business standards, and I got burned!

Look forward to seeing you soon, Cody.
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2013-02-01 22:26
    Guess I deviated a bit from my normal stuffy business standards, and I got burned!

Hint, You can get good rooms at name brand Hotels by asking if they offer Industry rates. Shh, it's a not so well known secret!!!!
  • Roy ElthamRoy Eltham Posts: 2,996
    edited 2013-02-05 00:38
    Looking forward to the 3D printing, plasma cutting, robot battles, and whatnot both Friday and Saturday nights at StayBridge.

I strongly recommend StayBridge to anyone coming to the expo. It's by far the best experience in Rocklin when visiting Parallax.

Roy
  • Jim FouchJim Fouch Posts: 395
    edited 2013-02-06 14:26
    Well, it looks like I got a taker for my offer for a fellow cheapskate...... my girlfriend Deb.

We decided to make a vacation of the trip and fly out a few days early and leave a few days later.

Got the special rate of $99/night + taxes at Staybridge. This place is so nice and well worth the discounted price.

Got a pretty decent deal on the Rental car.

We decided to fly into San Francisco instead of Sacramento. It was cheaper and the travel time is quite a bit less with one less layover each way. This way we will be able to do some sight seeing right after we land.

Shaping up to be one great vacation. :-)
    edited 2013-02-06 15:54
    We regret to inform you that the Electronics & Robotics Expo has been postponed. A new event, the Official Propeller Conference (OPC), will take place on May 4th at the Parallax headquarters in Rocklin. This one-day technical conference will include speakers, project displays and discussions about the Propeller multi-core microcontroller. Although not required, familiarity with the Propeller chip is strongly recommended.

For more information about the Official Propeller Conference and to sign up please visit: http://www.parallax.com/tabid/984/Default.aspx