Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
javelin stamp orientation — Parallax Forums

javelin stamp orientation

softconsoftcon Posts: 215
edited 2012-12-17 04:34 in General Discussion
Ok, got a question on orientation. I have both a carrier board, and a super carrier board. I'm assuming orientation is the same for both boards when inserting the javalin stamp for programming. The problem is, I can't seem to find anyone here with the ability to read schematics. I've tried to teach them, but not being able to see kind of puts a crimp in that process.
So, what I'd like to know, is which way does the stamp get inserted into the board for programming and use purposes?
When using the super carrier board, (holding it so the serial port is to the left, and the 20-pin connector is facing me, and the power connector is facing away from me), Which of the javalin pins is p1 (the one that goes in the upper left corner) Is it the end with the little round chip on top of the module, or is it the one with the two square chips to the left of the round chip on the module.
My guess is that the square chips go on top (away from me closest to the power connectors) but I can't get anyone to verify this, and I'd rather not scrap another javalin module finding out (the last one I toasted was a result of trying to plug it into a different board that didn't have proper spacing holes for the pins on the module) :) A board I'd picked up at radio shack.
Won't try that trick again.

I've been wanting to play with this little guy for quite some time, and didn't have anyone around who could tell which end was which, so I figured I'd ask here. I know there's supposed to be a small dot/square/number/something that notes p1, but nobody here can see it, or can't figure out what I'm talking about. I'm sure my 7-year-old daughter could see it if she knew what to look for, her eyes are better than my wife's, but since I can't explain what she's supposed to be looking for exactly, she's at a loss to tell me what I need to know.
So, figured I'd ask here, I'm sure someone could grab their module, and answer the question in a couple seconds.
Thanks in advance for the assistance,
I suppose a call to parallax tech guys would just as easily answer the question, but I'd rather not take up their time with something so trivial.

Comments

• davejamesdavejames Posts: 4,045
    edited 2012-12-14 20:09
    Softcon,

I'm sitting with both a Carrier and Super Carrier in front of me.

The Carrier board:
    With it oriented such that the DB9 connector and battery connector is "on the top", facing away from me, pin 1 of the Stamp socket is the upper left pin - and it's labled Sout.

The Super Carrier board:
    With it oriented such that the DB9 connector is "on the left", facing my left, pin 1 of the Stamp socket is the upper left pin - and again it's labled Sout.

Regards
  • TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2012-12-16 10:33
    SoftCon, I have a Javelin Stamp Module, Parallax part# JS1-IC... it is still in the bag, and I never powered it up,
    Would you like to have it? Free of charge. no strings attached...

I will never use it, It was handed to me by some one standing at the "freebie" table during UPEW 2012.
    Would like to see it go to a good home, and since you "Toasted" one allready, maybe you will take better care of this one..:)

PM your shipping address if you are interested...

-Tommy
    edited 2012-12-16 13:54
    ...what a nice guy you are Tommy!
  • softconsoftcon Posts: 215
    edited 2012-12-16 16:00
    Thank you for the description of the boards. I'll have to check, but I think I'd already had those correct. What I was asking, was the p1 on the javelin module itself, not on the boards, I only mentioned that I had both boards, in case the orientation was different on the boards,, it sounds like they're the same, which is good, but I was more asking for the stamp itself. So, if anyone knows, (the end with the single round chip, or the end with the 2 square ones and the round one together? Tommy, pm is on it's way, thank you for your kindness.
    edited 2012-12-16 16:32
    ...sorry - misunderstood.

Looking at the image in the Parallax store, the large-ish square pack (which is the SX chip) is located toward pins 12 and 13 (lower left and lower right respectively). Pin 1 is adjacent to two square-ish surface mount capacitors (upper left). The round-ish pack is adjacent to pin 24.

Did that make sense?
  • softconsoftcon Posts: 215
    edited 2012-12-16 16:54
    Yep, that does it, thanks much. That's exactly what I needed to know. Now I need to get my xp machine working again so I can program this thing. (unless someone knows how I can use the mac to do it) bst and mac bs2 won't handle javelin stamps (I don't think).
    There was some reference to linux using the javelin stamp, so perhaps there is something I can use, but if not, that's ok, I don't use windows for anything but programming anyhow, so it'll still fit right in.
  • TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2012-12-16 16:59
    Wow, these little Javelin Stamp Modules sure have a lot of little parts glued on. Whats all that stuff on the bottom? never mind, I would just get a headache...Amazing tech...

I will drop it in the mail tommorow. Enjoy!

-Tommy
  • jmspaggijmspaggi Posts: 629
    edited 2012-12-17 04:34
    softcon wrote: »
    There was some reference to linux using the javelin stamp, so perhaps there is something I can use, but if not, that's ok, I don't use windows for anything but programming anyhow, so it'll still fit right in.

There is few posts from Peter talking about Linux + Javelin, from what I remember.

You can use eclipse, compile and push on the Javelin under Linux, but you can't debug step by step. Just add some traces on the code to display what you want to follow on the console.

JM