Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS2p24/40 Demo Board .... will it run propeller? — Parallax Forums

BS2p24/40 Demo Board .... will it run propeller?

mcstarmcstar Posts: 144
edited 2006-06-08 14:14 in Propeller 1
Since the Propeller demo board I ordered·a couple weeks ago is backordered until the 23 and I just found out that many of the P8X32A-D40 (40-pin DIP) chips are available,·I was wondering, does anyone know if the BS2p24/40 demo board will work with the propeller?· What I mean by work, is that will all the pins be connected safely enough that it won't fry the propeller?·· If so, I was thinking about getting that combo while I'm waiting for my real demo board. Does anyone know if this will work?

Comments

• JonathanJonathan Posts: 1,023
    edited 2006-06-07 22:50
    Mcstar,

No, I don't think so. The pinout is different, the voltage is different and the Propeller needs an external EEPROM.

Jonathan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.madlabs.info - Home of the Hydrogen Fuel Cell Robot
  • cocokiwicocokiwi Posts: 75
    edited 2006-06-08 01:36
    mcstar said...
    Since the Propeller demo board I ordered·a couple weeks ago is backordered until the 23 and I just found out that many of the P8X32A-D40 (40-pin DIP) chips are available,·I was wondering, does anyone know if the BS2p24/40 demo board will work with the propeller?· What I mean by work, is that will all the pins be connected safely enough that it won't fry the propeller?·· If so, I was thinking about getting that combo while I'm waiting for my real demo board. Does anyone know if this will work?

··· Yeah! you can !

·· By that you use the Board as the development area including the PChip! The socket is differently wired!

·· you need a 5meg xtal/ a 10k-1/8watt and a few 1k-1/8w·resistors
    ·· PChip and 24LC256 DIL (dual in line)

·· you ADD a 3.3v regulator and a 10v/220uf electrolitic Cap ,I just wired mine across the existing one!

·· looking from the backside(40pin socket) at the regulator on the board by the development area,the left pin by the
    ·· Dev area is gnd and the center pin is·5 volts from the regulator.

·· you put the 3.3 v regulator gnd/5 volt across these two and bend the center pin out and connect the cap
    ·· between it and the gnd and run a wire to the development board edge strip( the voltage strip )

··make sure you don't short the·5v to the incoming 9 volt side with the hanging 3.3v·regulator wire!nono.gif
    · use a USB to SER device to connect to it using the Bs1 serial input pin 3 and 4 on the Bs1 and running a wire from
    · the RES·socket connection to the RES setup on the PChip,one can use the LED,s on board also as they are
    · grounded just like the prop board and you can use the other devices also,just remember to put 1k 1/8w resistors
    · between any 5v device and the PChip I/O to keep them happy!!·shocked.gif

·· Somewhere in here is a photo of JON's lashup of the Pchip,I did the same thing,except for the power supply!cool.gif

· Dennis yeah.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    http://people.delphiforums.com/cocokiwi/Image/picture.jpg

Post Edited (cocokiwi) : 6/8/2006 1:54:16 AM GMT
  • GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2006-06-08 07:31
    Actually, you don't NEED the Xtal.
    It's handy if you want to run at hig speed, but it can make do with the internal RC-clock.
    (Mounting Xtals on the prototype area can sometimes be a bit of a bother. Poor connections, papacitance and all that Smile... )

So whether or not you need it is decided by what you want to do with the Propeller. TV/VGA output of course requires one, but the BlinkLED demo does not.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Don't visit my new website...
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-06-08 09:03
    I think it would be silly to spend money on buying the board unless you want it for other reasons.·

It supports two LCDs at the same time in two different formats [noparse][[/noparse]One is the generic LCD cable and the other is via the APPMOD header].· I have the tiny LCD with 4 buttons plugged into it and BS40p.· All together it really rocks for prototyping as you have a menu LCD, a message LCD, a 4 button key pad, and lots of I/0.· There are several other more exotic features too.

It is my favorite, but I first set up the 40pin DIP Propeller on just a generic breadboard.··This worked fine and I moved on to building a board from there.· What you really should look at is the PropSTICK.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • Kaos KiddKaos Kidd Posts: 614
    edited 2006-06-08 14:14
    I'm using a breadboard, with things tacked into place with a tacky tape.
    It works, and also provides for changes if need be.
    I went as far as to use the radio shack small bread boards to make "modules" for it... VGA, TV.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Just tossing my two bits worth into the bit bucket

KK
    ·