Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Keyboard_iso — Parallax Forums

Keyboard_iso

Jim CJim C Posts: 76
edited 2006-05-26 16:49 in Propeller 1
In the example file/pile, there is a program, Example08_KeyBoardInput.spin, that tests the keyboard and connections. This program uses an object keyboard_iso.spin that is not in the Propeller Tool 0.95.1. (The tool available is keyboard.spin)

Suggestions?

JameSX

Comments

• Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,547
    edited 2006-05-18 14:39
    Jim C,

Originally I was going to post my copy of "Keyboard_iso.spin", but I noticed several differences in the actual assembly code between the two.
    The·original demo board (Rev A) has transistors that invert the clock and data signals to the keyboard, the new demo board (Rev C) does not
    have this inversion.

Here is a revision of Example 8 using the object "Keyboard.spin".

I noted the changes as "WAS / IS" between the current version and the original.

Note: You may need to swap the cpin and dpin

Let me know if you have any problems.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2006-05-18 15:28
    OK so theres a difference between mouse.spin and mouse_iso.spin; keyboard.spin and keyboard_iso.spin. For those of use with the first revision of the board and wishing to release code, is a direct replacement of the files a software interface equivalent method? IOW can I develop using keyboard_iso and mouse_iso, then before releasing replace the objects with thier non _iso equivalent?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    1+1=10
    edited 2006-05-18 16:43
    Paul,
    ·
    You make a good point that all of us should be made aware of.
    If someone can confirm that my revision of Example 8 works with the (RevC) boards, then my answer
    to your question would be yes.· "...can I develop using keyboard_iso and mouse_iso, then before
    releasing replace the objects with their non _iso equivalent?"
    ·
    ·
    Keep in mind also Paul, that the "_iso" object versions set the pin reference as a group, while the non
    "_iso" objects set the specific pin.·· At least for Mouse and Keyboard ... Video still references a group
    via a start pin of that group.
    ·

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    edited 2006-05-18 16:48
    Yes, you can use mouse_iso.spin and later substitute mouse.spin. Just change the pin parameter appropriately. Aside from the 4-pin/2-pin difference, the function of each object is identical.
    Paul Baker said...
    OK so theres a difference between mouse.spin and mouse_iso.spin; keyboard.spin and keyboard_iso.spin. For those of use with the first revision of the board and wishing to release code, is a direct replacement of the files a software interface equivalent method? IOW can I develop using keyboard_iso and mouse_iso, then before releasing replace the objects with thier non _iso equivalent?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Chip Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • StreichreStreichre Posts: 4
    edited 2006-05-26 16:33
    Hello,

This should be easy for everyone to figure out but...· I just received my Rev C Propeller Demo board and I was running through the demo programs.· The Keyboard_Demo program didn't work. ·The Keyboard_Demo is using dpin and cpin of 24, 25.· I noticed that these were the same pins for the mouse.· I checked the schematic and sure enough, the keyboard is on pins 26 and 27.· This simple change·and the program worked fine.

·'start the keyboard
    · kb.start(26, 27)

Best regards,

Charlie
    edited 2006-05-26 16:49
    On one of the original demo boards, there was only 1 PS/2 port. In other words you couldn't use one with the other.
    I would be willing to bet if you plugged the keyboard into the mouse jack with the original program it would also work.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.