Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
HB-25 Motor Controller — Parallax Forums

HB-25 Motor Controller

lobolobo Posts: 100
edited 2006-10-08 22:30 in BASIC Stamp
I want a confirmation that the HB-25 Motor Controller is compatible with a motor i bought. Here are the specs for that motor.
Mabuchi RS-550PF. Good-quality motor with internal cooling fan. No-load rating: 9000 RPM @ 6 -12Vdc, 1.3 Amps
it has 1/5 horse power (hp). It is pretty powerful and reliable at only 3.50 dollar (allelectronics.com). The motor can pull 15 kg.

by the way, if i use two motors which is what i'll do, do i need 24 volts to give 12 volts to each motor?

i want each motor to be pushed by 12v and not by 6v and i was thinking that if i use 12 volts it would give 6v to each motor. Is this assumption (belief without proof) correct or not? Feel free to correct me.
yas help is much appreciated

p.s.

is the HB-25 Motor Controller available already or not? if not when is it going to be available?

·

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-03-10 03:23
    Hello,

·· That Motor is well within the capability of the HB-25 to control.· If you connect two motors they would still get the supply voltage, not half.· So if you connect 12V to the power terminals, each motor will get 12V.· Now, if you're looking for independant control of the second motor you would need a second HB-25.· One HB-25 can handle more than one motor as far as power, but they would both be controlled the same.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-03-10 03:40
    At a 1/2 horsepower rating, the HB-25 really looks good.
    There is a lot of 'headroom' for future projects.
    With two of the right motors and two controllers, I suspect that you could easily motorize a wheel chair.

Like lobo said, 'When?'

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
    edited 2006-03-10 03:41
    HB-25 Motor Controllers are shipping as of tomorrow...As far as I know everyone who order one before today will be getting theirs real soon.· =)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • bulkheadbulkhead Posts: 405
    edited 2006-03-10 05:02
    Check out my post here about the HB-25: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=571781

I have seen both of these motors in person, and this one is much smaller than the one I'd like to use, so if size is any indicator of power, then your motors should be OK. Just curious, do you plan to run them in an RC car? If not, what type of gear reduction are you going to use?
  • lobolobo Posts: 100
    edited 2006-03-10 06:14
    just making a big R2-D2 with these two motors and would like to use the HB-25 Motor Controller along with the basic stamp2.

here is a dumb ? one can control the direction of the right and left motors (right motor ccw,left motor cw) with one HB-25 Motor Controller right?

indepently through me off but i'am back on my feet know.
    edited 2006-03-10 06:36
    lobo,

·· Yes, one motor can go one way and the other the other way by connecting them reverse polarity.· But with only one HB-25 they will always go that way and at the same speed as each other.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2006-03-10 08:50
    okay but to make my robot go: forward, backward, veer right, veer left, brake, circle, triangle, ect... All i need is this two motors and one HB-25 Motor Controller am i right?

I think this is my last question on HB-25 Motor Controller. After this all of my questions would have been answered.
    thanks for the continual awsome response and support (Mr. Savage) parallax!
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2006-03-10 13:50
    I think Chris meant that you can connect 2 motors to the HB25 and that the command given to the HB25 applies to all motors connected to it.
    So you don't have independent control over individual motors that are both on the same controller.
    In that case you'd need 2 HB25's with their own motors connected to them.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve

"Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,548
    edited 2006-03-10 14:45
    lobo said...

...to make my robot go: forward, backward, veer right, veer left, brake, circle, triangle, ect...

lobo said...

...All i need is this two motors and one HB-25 Motor Controller am i right?

All of this depends on the style of robot you have designed, although I'm not sure about a "triangle" maneuver. smilewinkgrin.gif
    If you are designing a R2-D2 type of robot, then I would guess that you have a 2-Wheel design with 2-caster wheels at 90 deg
    to the drive wheels.

Some examples:

If you have a 2-Wheeled robot you can do all of what you said above, but would require 2 motors and 2 HB-25 Motor Controllers.

If you have a 4-Wheeled robot you can do all of the above (large circles), but steering does become an issue. You can get away
    with 1 HB-25 Motor Controller and use a mechanical differential or wire 2 motors in series for an electronic differential. Either
    way you will still need some sort of steering mechanism, usually a servo connected to a rack and pinion of some sort, but there
    are other elaborate schemes that will work.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2006-03-10 15:24
    Let's bottom-line this...If you need independant control of two motors you will need two HB-25 Motor Controllers.· You can not use one to make two motors go forward, backward and left/right.· The documentation explains this.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2006-03-10 22:05
    Thanks for the info guys. Its all crystal clear. I just wanted to be sure i was buying the right product. Thanks again!
    edited 2006-03-11 02:25
    The HB-25 is a great deal for the money.· 25A of contiuous current handling capability, and all with the ease of a servo.· You can daisy chain two units so that one I/O line controls both units/motors.· So, even if I/O pins are limited you can still control two motors.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2006-03-12 06:24
    Great! Thanks again Mr. Savage.
  • m1k3m1k3 Posts: 5
    edited 2006-10-08 00:00
    hello,

I currently have the HB-25 and was wondering if there is a way to control the fan attached. Problem is the fan runs full tilt once power is supplied, this is a truly inefficient design. Is it possible to activate the fan only when the motor is running. Any suggestions? It would probably mean rewiring the fan to M1 and M2.
    edited 2006-10-08 17:45
    Hello,
    ·
    ·· That is exactly what you would have to do to make it run only when the motor is running.· There are two things to keep in mind…first of all this would void your warranty.· Second is that when there may be conditions when the fan won’t start, such as a motor stall condition.· In fact, I haven’t tested it yet, but it would be possible that the fan (being a brushless unit) may not start with the motor at lower RPM.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2006-10-08 20:42
    My other thoughts about rewiring the fan:

If the fan is wired to M1 and M2, and I reverse the the polarity of M1 and M2 to change to the direction of the motor, the fan will reverse as well blowing air in the wrong direction. Maybe if i wire a relay to control power to the HB-25 unit, this would effectively turn it on and off when necessary, yet complicates the design.

I am going to go ahead and try rewiring the fan to M1 and M2, since I am not reversing the polarity of M1 and M2.

Just to note, the fan is 12volts @ 0.08A. I may even try to find a slimmer profile fan to attach.
    edited 2006-10-08 20:47
    Hello,
    ·
    ·· Two other things to consider…some brushless fans are not reversible.· These fans may cease to function if wired incorrectly or if polarity was reversed.· This could happen unintentionally and cause a fan failure.· Also, if you change the fan out, the screws will no longer be the correct length to properly secure the heat-sink to the driver.· It would seem to be easier to just switch the negative lead of the fan using a 2N3904 transistor if you really need fan control.· The transistor could be switched by an extra I/O pin on the BASIC Stamp Module.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2006-10-08 21:22
    so..

the experiment didn't work.

rewired fanGND to M1 and fan+ to M2, motor works but no fan. if i reverse the wiring, fanGND to M2 and fan+ to M1, then no motor and no fan.

oh well. Thanks for the advice Chris, I will play with the transistor idea.
  • terahertzterahertz Posts: 55
    edited 2006-10-08 22:30
    I need to order another HB-25 today, man this project is getting expensive...(I didn't burn my other one, I just need 2).

I've been watching this thread hoping someone would come up with an easy way to control the fan. It's not a big deal to have the fan running all the time but it would be nice to be able to control it.

My idea that I might try: Epoxy an LM34 temp sesor to the heat sink and bias a connected transistor in such a way that it will turn the fan on at X degrees.

1/2 hour later ---> OK, I just designed a circuit and simulated it, you can set the fan turn on temp with a potentiometer.

I wont have the time to take my HB-25 apart anytime soon but if someone wants to build it I'll post the schematic. You'll need 1 NPN transistor, 1 1K pot, 1 Lm34,·and 1 100ohm resistor.

Post Edited (terahertz) : 10/8/2006 10:38:55 PM GMT