Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Experiment on Demonstrating a Moving Spotlight — Parallax Forums

Experiment on Demonstrating a Moving Spotlight

janlijanli Posts: 3
edited 2005-06-19 11:31 in Learn with BlocklyProp
Hi, I'm new in using Basic Stamp, what I have on hand now is the BOE Rev. B~
And I have a project idea on using Basic Stamp to control the movement of LED (which is simulating the moving spotlight)
But I donno how to demonstate the movement of the light.....
Since a servo motor can only rotate 180 degrees, I want the light can move both 360 degrees horizontally and·180 degrees vertically....
are there any methods to construct this "moving spotlight"?
Please kindly suggest some ideas to me,thx a lot!!

Comments

• dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2005-06-18 20:44
    If you look in our Robotics' text, there is a project that involves·photoresistors being used to follow light using the·Boe-Bot.· Here is· a link for the download of the text:· http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=28154·.

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    [noparse][[/noparse]url]Http://www.parallax.com[noparse][[/noparse]/url]

·
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2005-06-18 21:00
    janli -

Think about mechanical linkages for increasing the degree of rotation of an R/C servo. Levers and pulleys comes to mind as examples of simple mechanical linkages that might be used. You can change the apparent speed of rotation, the direction or degrees of rotation, or the applied torque by these methods. There are entire books devoted to mechanical linkages.

Since you appear to want two degrees of freedom (two directions) take a look at "pan and tilt" linkages to meet your needs.

Regards,

Bruce Bates
  • janlijanli Posts: 3
    edited 2005-06-19 03:58
    Hi Bruce,

thanks for your advice, but I have to study the mechanical linkages first, haha ^^
    and what's R/C servo? is it different from normal servo???

Hi Dave,

If I want the light to follow the music to move anf flash, is there any similar tutorial?

regards,
    janli
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2005-06-19 04:35
    janli -

R/C is just shorthand or an abbreviation for radio control. Radio conteolled servos are the kind you'd buy from Parallax, or from any hobby shop. They are most often used in radio controlled models as actuators. They are controlled by variable length (time-wise) signal pulses which will cause them to rotate in a predicatable direction and manner. Their use has been extended into the area of robotics and the world of special effects, due to their ease of use with micro-controllers, and small size.

I won't confuse you with the "other" type of servo, unless you really want to know. Why muddy the waters if the R/C servo is what you're speaking about smile.gif

Regards,

Bruce Bates
  • janlijanli Posts: 3
    edited 2005-06-19 11:31
    Here are two links of flash movies that perform the effect that is what I want to do by basic stamp,
    the problems I'm facing now is the movement part and the light intensity part,
    as I want the light to move and flash(or change intensity) with the music~

http://myweb.polyu.edu.hk/~04728495g/lights01.swf
    http://myweb.polyu.edu.hk/~04728495g/lights02.swf