Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Suggestions for Soldering Iron — Parallax Forums

Suggestions for Soldering Iron

Steve JoblinSteve Joblin Posts: 784
edited 2005-01-20 03:07 in General Discussion
I think my next investment for my robot hobby should be a new soldering iron.· I have a cheap $8 25 watt Pencil Iron from the "Shack".· I don't need to go crazy since this is just a hobby.· I use it for thru-hole work but could see myself starting to get into SMD at some point.· Any suggestions?· Do I need a variable temp?· Should it have a digital readout?· What are the better quality brands?

Thanks!

Comments

• steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2005-01-15 22:04
    I have a variable bench station at work which I use and love.· It doesn't have a digital readout....don't relaly need one (dial has temp settings).

If you have it in the budget, go for a variable....it's nice to be able to crank it up for big jobs or lower it when doing sensitive work.

Or, a good all around pencil style is·a 35Watt Weller....definately make sure you have a 3prong plug (many don't have the additional ground plug).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve
    http://members.rogers.com/steve.brady
    "Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-01-16 02:34
    If you plan on doing SMD a variable temp iron is strongly suggested. Weller is a good brand but I find them to be a bit on the high side of the price range, I personally use the Xytronic 137ESD though this will probably be a little overkill for you.

The Xytronic 136ESD is a more moderately priced unit and·there is a used iron (only used during a tradeshow) here: http://www.howardelectronics.com/used.html·for $45, the only difference between the 136 and the 137 is that the 136 does not have a digital display.

I talked about these soldering irons and my method of doing SMD work in this thread: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=522712. The nice thing about the Xytronic (though Im sure the Weller series has something similar) is the mini-wave soldering tip which was specifically made for hand soldering smd parts. Clicking on the solder tip link on the page for the 136 will get you there. Additionally Howard Electronics staff is very helpful and quickly answers any questions you have.

Paul
  • Jim McCorisonJim McCorison Posts: 359
    edited 2005-01-16 19:18
    Howard Electronics has a video that shows one technique for soldering smd devices. You can view it at www.howardelectronics.com/navigate/videoclips.html. It is the third one down. And then, as the musician said when asked how to get to Carnage Hall, Practice,man. Practice.

Jim
  • Steve JoblinSteve Joblin Posts: 784
    edited 2005-01-19 02:25
    Thanks for all your suggestions and input! I think it will be a Xytronic 137ESD (for a few extra bucks I like the digital display).

Again, thanks for your thoughts! Much appreciated.

p.s. I like the videos at the Howard Electronics site... it is actually kind of funny to think that the last video I saw before that one was when I rented I-Robot. I think the soldering video had better a better plot!
    edited 2005-01-19 04:53
    glad I/we could help, man I should start getting commisions from HEI for the business I'm directing thier way *grin*
  • GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2005-01-19 14:31
    Just adding my two cents worth...

I have a RS-components branded one, and the three features I wanted in mine was:
    1. Adjustable temperature(you need a thin screwdriver to do it on mine, but it works)
    2. Fine tip...
    3. Non-flammable power-cord...
    (I have a tendency to hit the cord with the tip of the iron... )
    edited 2005-01-19 14:52
    Yeah I burned the power cord more than once on my RS pencil iron, it was one of the reasons I decided to get a station, its much easier to setup the iron where the power cord is out of the way, plus Xytronic's
  • AlanSteytlerAlanSteytler Posts: 4
    edited 2005-01-20 03:07
    Don'r forget to look on eBay for the iron. Amazing what folks are trying to unload there. I got a great Weller for next to nothing...