Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Controlling the temperature — Parallax Forums

Controlling the temperature

ShivaShiva Posts: 5
edited 2004-08-09 19:38 in BASIC Stamp
Hello,

I'm using a basic stamp 2p40 to measure temperature and humidity in a growchamber.·The growchamber is an aquarium (no water in itwink.gif·), size 60*30*30 cm (30·cm is almost 1 foot)
But now I'm planning to keep the temperature in this growchamber at a constant level; now the question is: what heater/cooler devices can be used?
It doesn't have to be a very sophisticated product, e.g. a thermostat isn't necessary; after all, the basic stamp already measures the temperature, thus this value can be used to control the heater/cooler, e.g. by turning it on and off.

Thanks in advance!

Erik

·

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2004-08-09 16:51
    Can you use something as simple as a lightbulb to heat the chamber? This would mean switching an AC light, but that can be done with a relay or SSR.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas Office
  • ShivaShiva Posts: 5
    edited 2004-08-09 18:06
    Jon Williams said...
    Can you use something as simple as a lightbulb to heat the chamber? This would mean switching an AC light, but that can be done with a relay or SSR.

Thanks Jon, not a bad idea! I've got to be careful though coz the humidity in the growchamber is very high (95-100%) and droplets will probably occur every now and then. A 220V blow smhair.gif isn't the most pleasant thing, thus I've got to isolate the electric circuit connected to the bulb very well from the chamber. But hey, it's something to consider..
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2004-08-09 18:55
    Shiva -

Use one of the shatterproof incandescent bulbs with the clear Teflon or clear plastic coating and you should be okay. They generally go by names like this: CoverGuard, ShatterPruf, Safe-T-Lite. You'll know immediately by touching the surface of the bulb before you buy it. It will also look quite dull in color/texture due to the plastic coating.

Regards,

Bruce Bates
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2004-08-09 19:07
    Bruce Bates said...
    Shiva -
    Use one of the shatterproof incandescent bulbs with the clear Teflon or clear plastic coating and you should be okay. They generally go by names like this: CoverGuard, ShatterPruf, Safe-T-Lite. You'll know immediately by touching the surface of the bulb before you buy it. It will also look quite dull in color/texture due to the plastic coating.
    Regards,
    Bruce Bates
    Bruce,

·· Would a bulb such as the ones you describe run as hot as a standard bulb?· Or are they cooler?· Just curious, having a plastic coating...I would think they would run cooler, which may defeat the purpose.· I have never seen/used such a bulb to know.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Knight Designs
    324 West Main Street
    P.O. Box 97
    Montour Falls, NY 14865
    (607) 535-6777

Business Page:·· http://www.knightdesigns.com
    Personal Page:··· http://www.lightlink.com/dream/chris
    ·
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2004-08-09 19:25
    You might also consider something called "heat tape" that can be run from 120 VAC. When I worked in the golf course industry heat tape was used to keep moisture out of irrigation controllers during snowy months.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas Office
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2004-08-09 19:25
    Chris -

Just by the very nature of a given sized filament within a given sized envelope, the heat (wattage or power) will remain the same. In fact, if anything, it may produce more heat in that it could retain the heat longer than an ordinary bulb which will cool naturally by heat convection on the bare glass envelope.

Bruce
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2004-08-09 19:38
    Bruce Bates said...
    Chris -
    Just by the very nature of a given sized filament within a given sized envelope, the heat (wattage or power) will remain the same. In fact, if anything, it may produce more heat in that it could retain the heat longer than an ordinary bulb which will cool naturally by heat convection on the bare glass envelope.
    Bruce
    Bruce,

·· Thanks for the info...That would answer the question for anyone else wondering as well.· scool.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Knight Designs
    324 West Main Street
    P.O. Box 97
    Montour Falls, NY 14865
    (607) 535-6777

Business Page:·· http://www.knightdesigns.com
    Personal Page:··· http://www.lightlink.com/dream/chris
    ·