Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Where is your physical object exchange? — Parallax Forums

Where is your physical object exchange?

However ... here is my contribution to it ;o)

As I want to do some testing with an ESP8266 board ... and these boards are told to need up to 500mA ... and the Edge regulators are told to have a max. output of 300mA ...
I 3D printed this carrier for a step-down board. The one I had at hand has a size of 54mm x 26mm.

If you have different sizes, you can grab the FCStd-file and change the sizes as needed. ( it's the original FreeCAD model ). The rubber feet had to be moved.
What you can't see in the picture, the PCB is placed on a piece of TPU that I printed without top layers (you can see the infill). The idea was to have something "springy" that pushes the PCB against the clamps. My TPU was a bit too rigid, but if the "force" is with you ... ;o)

Comments

• PS: Please don't rely on the hight of the TPU-part. If I remember right I, simply limited it's height in the slicer after the first print was too high for that stiff TPU.

• MagIO2,

Thank you for posting your 3D creation.

Perhaps we can get the owner of the Propeller Repository on GitHub to create a 3D printer file section for creations like yours and perhaps other "physical" designs...

cjmj has also created a great 3D printed holder for the P2 Edge module.

• How about Quick Bytes? Would this fit into the "tools" tag?

We haven't started to tag Quick Bytes yet, but we will once we hit 50 of them. The tags will allow quick sorting with lots of granularity: SPI, audio, video, VGA, NTSC, and could include 3D printed.

Ken Gracey

• @"Ken Gracey" said:
    How about Quick Bytes? Would this fit into the "tools" tag?

We haven't started to tag Quick Bytes yet, but we will once we hit 50 of them. The tags will allow quick sorting with lots of granularity: SPI, audio, video, VGA, NTSC, and could include 3D printed.

Ken Gracey

Never too soon Ken! There's some seriously awesome stuff in the existing QBs and you seem to be working hard in collaboration with others to produce and publish these at a good clip. Thank you!
    Mike

• @pmrobert said:

@"Ken Gracey" said:
    How about Quick Bytes? Would this fit into the "tools" tag?

Ken Gracey

Never too soon Ken! There's some seriously awesome stuff in the existing QBs and you seem to be working hard in collaboration with others to produce and publish these at a good clip. Thank you!
    Mike

You're welcome. I'm just trying to provide a process where the resources can be brought together, tested by a noob (me), have a few pictures or a video added, and to build a system that we can grow. Soon, we'll add tags and they'll be nicely sortable.

I'll add the @MagIO2 files. I need to know: what's the step-down board, and where is it bought?

Thanks,

Ken Gracey

• pik33pik33 Posts: 2,350
    edited 2021-03-14 11:11

The base object for P2 Eval and RPi Zero:

The object after mounting:

The STL attached.

• Hi Ken
    ... good questions!

I got this module from the store right behind me. ;o) Ordered I don't know how many years back.

Details: It is a step down module with a LM2596 regulator. Input range 4-35V, Output adjustable to 1,25-30V, max current 2-3A.
    I ordered in a german electronics store www.pollin.de, but it is no longer available. The ones I found online have same layout, but are slightly smaller but also have slightly better specs these days. Simply search for LM2596 on Amazon or ebay.

To be honest I did not expect that people would have the same modules at hand, that's why I added the original FreeCAD file for everybody to adapt to their own module sizes.
    Having started this thread, I think it would be a good idea to work on a second iteration, where users can simply enter the measurements of their module in a spreadsheet and the CAD model would be adjusted accordingly. And that in the end would maybe be worth a quick-byte, even if it only involves bytes indirectly.

Just let me know what you think.

• What about sizing the 3D print for the Parallax PowerPal module?

That's a known and controlled size!

• Looks like the PowerPal is neither meant to be used with a Edge Breadboard, nor would it be a good fit, as it would overlap with some of the port-pins.

• I thought it might be connected like this, and then the power jumpered in wherever it was needed.