Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Quick Byte: XBee RF Transparent and API Mode Demo — Parallax Forums

Quick Byte: XBee RF Transparent and API Mode Demo

https://www.parallax.com/xbee-rf-transparent-and-api-mode-demo/

JonnyMac's material, all collected up into one place along with the X-CTU screenshots to get properly configured!

If you like what you see, consider dropping some comments on the Quick Byte page (you need a parallax.com account, sorry). This is helpful for search engines and lets others know we've got a vibrant, growing base of code.

Thanks!

Ken Gracey

Comments

• Good Job, Ken, keep the quick bytes rolling...

Mike

• @msrobots said:
    Good Job, Ken, keep the quick bytes rolling...

Mike

Oh sure. The one that's nagging me heavily is the WiFi stuff. We really need a far improved IoT presence for the P2. I spent time/money getting an object together for the ESP32 but nobody seems to be using it, Need some help figuring out how to further the IOT solutions for the P2 -- both identifying the hardware, choosing the right code to share, and making it useful with a Quick Byte. Part of the problem is I haven't taken time to survey the options, the customer needs, and the best solution.

https://github.com/parallaxinc/propeller/tree/master/libraries/community/p2/All/esp32

Miss ya at recent P2 Live Forums.

Ken

• dgatelydgately Posts: 1,621
    edited 2021-03-05 18:59

Ken,

I think 3 needs of ESP32 (or even the Parallax ESP86-based WiFi module) need to be in a library that:

1. Can upload P2 binaries to P2 boards
    2. Can provide web-service levels of communications (HTTP GET, POST, etc.)
    3. Can provide a WiFI replacement of serial comms between P2s

As an example, the Digi XBee Series 3 modules are really good at #3. Easy setup, and acts like a wired serial interface. ESP solutions should be that simple.

With the Parallax WiFi module for P1, #1 & #2 were also available. The examples were/are spilt between Spin and C, I believe, but were difficult to get right the first time. At least, that's what is in my memory :|

A library for either/both ESPs that does all 3 with the simplicity of how the XBee's work, would be valuable.

dgately

• @dgately said:
    Ken,

I think 3 needs of ESP32 (or even the Parallax ESP86-based WiFi module) need to be in a library that:

1. Can upload P2 binaries to P2 boards
    2. Can provide web-service levels of communications (HTTP GET, POST, etc.)
    3. Can provide a WiFI replacement of serial comms between P2s

As an example, the Digi XBee Series 3 modules are really good at #3. Easy setup, and acts like a wired serial interface. ESP solutions should be that simple.

With the Parallax WiFi module for P1, #1 & #2 were also available. The examples were/are spilt between Spin and C, I believe, but were difficult to get right the first time. At least, that's what is in my memory :|

A library for either/both ESPs that does all 3 with the simplicity of how the XBee's work, would be valuable.

dgately

Dennis, this clarifies things for me and I shall return to this post several times.

I'm still not clear on which hardware we should be furthering to support what functions, but this helps.

Is this true:

Parallax WX Module for #1
    ESP32 library/hardware we've published for #2 and #3
    XBee Series 3 for #3

Is that mostly correct?

• Parallax WX Module for #1
    ESP32 library/hardware we've published for #2 and #3

I was actually referring to the Parallax WiFi Module tutorial (which might be useful for ESP32, as well) : https://learn.parallax.com/tutorials/language/propeller-c/parallax-wx-wi-fi-module-prop-c

And, some Spin code example from the forum (oldbitcollector's code?)

XBee Series 3 for #3