Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Debug functions — Parallax Forums

Debug functions

I just finished watching Chip’s presentation on the A/D smart pins from December 22, 2020 on youtube. Thank you Chip for the great presentation. During the presentation Chip demonstrated the debug features of the P2.

The debug functions look very useful. It looks like a great way to get some real time test samples from the P2 without having to have a workstation full of test equipment. This will be a very powerful tool.

However, I did notice that all of Chip’s examples were using just one cog. With the debug functions interwoven with the running code. I’m guessing this could cause problems if you had time sensitive code – such as a video driver. Let say you want to use the logic analyzer on the pins driving a VGA display…maybe checking VSYNC timing. Would it be more advantageous to have a dedicated COG for debugging? I’m picturing maybe a debug object that could be quickly drop into any project that would have a memory look up, a logic analyzer, a scope, etc. For example, you could read P2 pins and have the logic analyzer running on your computer while another COG is running the real time VGA display of the pins - real time debugging. It could be an object that you drop it in and out of projects as needed. Just food for thought.