Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
When will the P2 Edge be available again? — Parallax Forums

When will the P2 Edge be available again?

I am interested in purchasing a P2 Edge, but it is currently out of stock. Does anybody know when the P2 Edge will be available again?

Comments

• I think they were waiting on a part that came in yesterday and now they just have to make the boards.

I believe they are working on that right now.

Mike
  • In test today. Could be in stock by tomorrow.

Ken will be broadcasting todays P2 Zoom live from the manufacturing department !!
  • Ken has been posting on Twitter this morning about building the P2 Edge Module Breadboard pcbs.

• VonSzarvas wrote: »
    In test today. Could be in stock by tomorrow.

Ken will be broadcasting todays P2 Zoom live from the manufacturing department !!

Thanks, I'll check the Parallax site tomorrow to see if I can order one.
  • Great news - credit card at the ready...
    FYI - In today's mail, a great P2 article in Nuts & Volts magazine by Jon McPhalen
  • Please bear in mind that article was written and submitted back in April, so a few details have changed since then. Funny, I was wondering if N&V was still alive (they haven't paid me in years, so I wasn't sure), and then the magazine arrives. That article has been online for a while. Hopefully, though, the print version will expose more people to the goodness of the P2.
  • The P2 Edge is still shown as out of stock. Is there a new estimate on when it will be available? Did Ken give an ETA in the Zoom meeting?
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    They are finishing a build of 500 P2 Edges today, I believe. I think they have 250 JonnyMac's coming along, too. Ken told me he ordered parts today for 500 more P2 Edges. We should be able to fill all current orders early next week.
  • That's great! I'll keep checking the online store for availability so I can order one. Thanks.
  • evanhevanh Posts: 15,192
    Any ETA for the hyper'd Edge?

• Is the edge compatible with any low profile SIMM type connectors that have retaining tabs/clips?
    evanh wrote: »
    Any ETA for the hyper'd Edge?

Not yet.
  • Yeh! Edge boards are on the web site, got my order in now. Still waiting for the breadboard to show up on the site.
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    You can call and make an order (or backorder) when items are not in stock, too. That puts you in line!

The web-store does not have this feature yet.
  • I ordered mine along with a few other parts from the online store.
  • P2 breadboards came up now, got that in a separate order. I was going to get the bundle but one of the pieces is still out of stock.
  • DiverBob wrote: »
    P2 breadboards came up now, got that in a separate order. I was going to get the bundle but one of the pieces is still out of stock.

Something wrong, somewhere, because I personally received 100 of those power supply adapters today.

Will check in the morning and fix this problem.

Ken Gracey
  • Ken Gracey wrote: »
    DiverBob wrote: »
    P2 breadboards came up now, got that in a separate order. I was going to get the bundle but one of the pieces is still out of stock.

Something wrong, somewhere, because I personally received 100 of those power supply adapters today.

Will check in the morning and fix this problem.

Ken Gracey

I wanted to get my order in before they sold out so I got the individual pieces. The P2 Edge and mini-board should be a perfect fit in my robot! It will be fun setting up a P2 to control 6 P1s!
    edited 2020-12-11 23:06
    I finally got my P2 Edge and JonnyMac setup today.

The P2 Edge is somehow way smaller than I imagined:

p2edge.jpg

I noticed the new PropPlug I got had rough edges. I sanded them down, but we need to start doing this in manufacturing.
    1632 x 918 - 446K
  • JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 8,929
    edited 2020-12-11 23:06
    I got mine today, too. And, like you, find the Edge is smaller than I imagined. That's good, though, as it will make it easy for OEMs to use in their products.
  • I got mine yesterday, but I didn't fire it up until this morning. I tested it with my 44-pin DIP adapter, and it worked great. Of course, I only tried flashing an LED and running a "Hello World" program. I'll try out a few more things in the next few days.
    p2edge.jpg
    1281 x 917 - 246K
  • Nice picture, Dave. I haven't seen the P2 Edge in these different configurations until now.

Ken
  • Thanks, Ken. I designed an adapter board that brings out slightly more than half of the I/O pins so it would fit within a DIP footprint, and have the same length as the P2 Edge connector. That works out to 22 pins on each side. The goal was to have an adapter board that works well with solderless breadboards.

It brings out 4 groups of 8 consecutive I/O pins plus the 4 3.3V lines associated with each set of 8 pins. You can't see it in the picture, but there is a Prop Plug on the back side that connects to 4 pins grouped together with GND, RESn, P63 and P2.

Here's a 3D rendition of the adapter board.
    dipedge.jpg
    869 x 292 - 143K
  • Whoo Hoo - Got my P2 Edge and JonnyMac boards to day and hooked everything up. everything works and looks great.

On a side note - the 80-pin Adapter mini-board needs work. Something like Dave Hein's rendition, but for 80-pins. Add in revising the pinout drawing showing the correct numbering of the double row of .100" pins (they need to be reversed)

Maybe another PCB for the RH angled 80-pin connector. the pin spacing is totally different and the RH connector does not fit into the Adapter board. I can mark up the drawings and suggest a better layout, ie. something like Dave Hein's rendition.
  • The P2 looks like a clever design. But a little pricey for me. I'll probably make my own version. I mean I'm already into this P2 eval with accy boards to the tune of $300, so far I got a few leds to blink.
  • Considering the DAC and ADCs. 64 i/o pins and lots of memory - not pricey at all if you were to buy ADC chips, a memory chip, the power regulators and packaging. You could easily spend 3 times that for individual parts. Plus I see a ton of new ideas and super projects coming up in the next few months... Just touching the surface.
  • PropGuy2 wrote: »
    . Add in revising the pinout drawing showing the correct numbering of the double row of .100" pins (they need to be reversed)
    Hi! Would be good to get this straightened out. Are you referring to the pinout diagrams at these download links?

https://www.parallax.com/package/p2-edge-80-pin-adapter-kit-header-and-socket-pinouts/

• DigitalBob wrote: »
    The P2 looks like a clever design. But a little pricey for me. I'll probably make my own version. I mean I'm already into this P2 eval with accy boards to the tune of $300, so far I got a few leds to blink.

The next phase of our work from @"Jeff Martin" after the Prop Tool 4.2 is released is to start to bring the examples into a sensible collection from GitHub, forums, PropTool and the web site so that people can get started more easily. The examples exist but they're scatterred. We'll get there, next.

Ken Gracey
  • No doubt the P2 has many capabilities, Tool 4.2 sounds like what I'm looking for. Make it easy for a newbie, my thinking is, I take it out of the box put the batteries in and I'm running. So you open your P2 attach the accy. Boards like in the picture and run a demo out of the library for each board. And have a demo to run all accy. Boards at ounce. Let's not forget canned demos to run serial to your rasberry pi and arduino. That's my Suggestion for an action packed eval kit.
  • doggiedocdoggiedoc Posts: 2,239
    edited 2020-12-12 16:45
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    ....after the Prop Tool 4.2 is released ...

@"Ken Gracey" - I better catch up - I'm only on v2.4! :)