Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
P2 Weekly Meetups on Zoom: seeking your input on topics and sharing my own - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

P2 Weekly Meetups on Zoom: seeking your input on topics and sharing my own

Comments

• RaymanRayman Posts: 13,900
    Maybe just "The Hub"?
  • Spoke'n hub ?
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    The Hub Club sounds fine.
    I have been trying to think of something good with COG or COGS since we are the cogs and Parallax is the hub ;)
  • Hub club is short and sweet, but perhaps a little too short and general and "club" also infers that it is exclusive, which we are not.

Bear in mind that as I mentioned from the start that there should be one for developers but, and keep this in mind, with the main focus on assisting Parallax so that they can provide customers with a complete and unified P2 package including software tools, software library, documentation, and proven examples. A more formal agenda would be useful for this type of meeting to make best use of contributors time.

The other zoom meeting will be open to all and this is where we can have various presentations but each meeting then should have a theme which would also cover hardware too. So a theme could be about smartpins in general, or a specific feature, or about language features, or the basics of getting started etc. Here is where I'd like to see Chip too but each of us can have a part, and all can benefit.

Zoom is in real-time. P2 is a real-time MCU. Choosing a name for the general zoom meetings can also promote the unique why-you-should-use-it capabilities of the P2 at the same time. But something like Hub Club might be fine for the contributors meeting though. Would we be limited to 8 contributors at a time, all talking about something different? :)
  • Maybe “the Hub Bubs” then? Wait! Dont hang up! Lol
    "The Egg Beaters"?
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    Are P2 novices welcome to lurk?
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2020-06-09 01:23
    Tomorrow I'll set up an open Google form where we can start taking signups - and we'll turn this idea into action.

The name Club is creative with the rhyming Hub, but it's too exclusive. We might just use: P2 Live Forum - Developer Sharing or P2 Live Forum - Early Adopters Series. A noob can stop by and lurk in more comfort. The word "sharing" communicates the idea of helping others along.

Hosted and sponsored by Parallax, presentations by the early adopters about their projects, tools, tips, hardware, etc. You can sell anything you want in here, too.

Acceptable?

Ken Gracey

edited 2020-06-09 02:16
    Ken,
    Do you want to prefix this with "Parallax" as in
    Parallax P2 Live Forum - Developer Sharing or Parallax P2 Live Forum - Early Adopters Series.

While short is nice, no-one outside our group knows what a P2 is. At least this way an easy search would turn up Parallax and the P2.

I think the "Live Forum" demonstrates what it hopes to be :)
  • Yes, Parallax P2 Live Forum - Early Adopter Meetings

Thanks for your contributions, everybody. I think that once we get out from behind our keyboards and incorporate some live humans into the discussion we'll have a stronger community, more accountability, and more understanding of how we can prosper together in hobby and business.

Ken Gracey
    Somehow, I don't think there's be any shortage of people wanting to speak...
  • Rayman wrote: »

or listen in...

Thanks Ken, looking forward to these.
  • Yes indeed, book us in for July sometime regarding Native P2 MicroPython, Ken
  • Rayman wrote: »

We've seen you all at past Expos in the last decade. We know you can talk for two days, so yes, I agree!

Ken Gracey
  • Whit wrote: »
    My friend, Ryan Clarke (we met at Parallax), has been pushing me to do a Twitch stream. Would you be interested in a "Getting Started with Spin on the P2" stream?

• Whit wrote: »

We're going to make many efforts to welcome novices as yourself. Don't worry, I'll be paving the way with dumb questions on behalf of those afraid to ask.

Remember a long while back - I made a post to ask forum members to be particular warm and welcoming to newcomers? It was kinda funny how it was received. Some felt a bit creepy or unnatural about such welcomes, but others jumped all over the request.

Ken Gracey
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2020-06-09 03:53
    So Ken, are you making two different kinds of zoom meetings, a serious down to business one for contributors who can help Parallax build up the the tools and documentation necessary to officially support and launch P2, and another fun one for everyone where we can host presentations?
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2020-06-09 04:14
    So Ken, are you making two different kinds of zoom meetings, a serious down to business one for contributors who can help Parallax build up the the tools and documentation necessary to officially support and launch P2, and another fun one for everyone where we can host presentations?

One in the same.

Initially, a series of Zoom meetings for early adopters to share their software, hardware, applications and ideas. This would include the fun stuff where you can present whatever you're working on. The common theme is "early adopters" and we'd consider the content for an official release. At a minimum, we'd develop a complete catalog of these tools and feature them on our web site, and in more depth, we'd try to identify efforts where we can dovetail/integrate more tightly.

Let's take TAQOZ as an example. I think the first time I interacted with the P2 was through PST using TAQOZ. Aside from this experience, I still know very little about this system. It's shameful, but I haven't been able to make the time because I'm too busy with the educational stuff (as I've said many times - it pays our bills, and the R&D). I'd like to learn about TAQOZ and understand why I might want to use it. The outcome might range from more people knowing how to use TAQOZ, or more featuring it of it from Parallax.

For example, you mentioned documentation. Until last week, Chip was trying to handle community contributions on the main documentation. He really didn't have a process - frustrating since we've got talented writers including Jon Titus helping us out. So I added our Editor into the mix and provided a process to incorporate/review these revisions. I'd use one of the Zoom meetings to go over the documentation needs (identified by you) and process (how we work with contributors).

That's how I see it going, but I really don't have any specific idea in mind since this is really for early adopters. I only tried to explain my thoughts so I don't create the impression that Parallax will incorporate these efforts into our tools. There's some frustration about our lack of recognition for these efforts. We darned well appreciate them; we just don't know what to do with them at this time.

Is that reasonable? Really, it's an opportunity for all of us to start understanding what we're working with.

Ken Gracey
  • Tubular wrote: »
    Yes indeed, book us in for July sometime regarding Native P2 MicroPython, Ken
    I haven't heard much about this project lately. What C compiler are you using for Native P2 MicroPython?

• R2P2
  • I can’t use zoom (some security stupidity my company decided)
    Will the meetings be accessible via other platforms?
    I don’t need the discussion but like to see the presentation afterwards

Best regards
    Surac
  • It seems like the original requests to find out what Parallax is planning for software development has morphed into a series of Zoom presentations on P2 projects. I am still curious what Parallax is planning to do for software tools. We know that Chip is working on a P2 version of the Prop Tool, but what about C/C++?
  • Surac wrote: »
    I can’t use zoom (some security stupidity my company decided)

Best regards
    Surac

Per Ken, they will be put to youtube after.
  • Surac wrote: »
    I can’t use zoom (some security stupidity my company decided)

Best regards
    Surac

Surac, you can advise your company to upgrade to Zoom 5.0
    I know it's hard once something has been declared damned to reverse course.
    "It was insecure once, therefore, it shall be always". -some stuck-up IT manager.
    https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360043555772

The whole point of Zoom was to make it easy and accessible. As few button presses as needed to get a meeting together.
    Now we have massive ID codes and user codes, long passwords, and heavy encryption that can bog down computers. All because some bored teen hackers were having fun interrupting business meetings.
  • If you have the data available, simply attend on your phone. Zoom works pretty great on Android at least.

I've actually done the full set of things on my Note 8. Present, attend, interact. Worked way better than I thought it would.

potatohead wrote: »
    If you have the data available, simply attend on your phone. Zoom works pretty great on Android at least.

I've actually done the full set of things on my Note 8. Present, attend, interact. Worked way better than I thought it would.
    Works well on iPad's too. My daughter has been teaching her (UK) class for weeks with Zoom using her iPad. She's not great computer wise so it must be easy.
  • Dave Hein wrote: »
    It seems like the original requests to find out what Parallax is planning for software development has morphed into a series of Zoom presentations on P2 projects. I am still curious what Parallax is planning to do for software tools. We know that Chip is working on a P2 version of the Prop Tool, but what about C/C++?

Indeed, I think it would be very illuminating to hear what Parallax is up to.
  • Eric, Dave,

We currently have no internal efforts for C/C++. We don't have the staff or funds to create the compiler and would rely on community-provided tools. It's a topic we should discuss together - in person - with whoever would like to join in. I'd like to know what you think we should do in this regard, too.

Ken Gracey

• Probably give ersmith a marketing allowance and ability to use Parallax logo.
  • I suggest giving him more than a marketing allowance. I think FlexGUI/fastspin should be promoted by Parallax, and should be listed as an official Parallax development tool on the Parallax website. Parallax should pay Eric for his efforts. He has put hundreds of hours of his own time into the project.

It would be good if FlexGUI had more C++ features in it. I'm not suggesting a full C++ effort, but include a subset that would be useful for the P2.

That's my 2 cents worth.