INA219 module and ...

I was looking for something that could read current and voltage, and came across this module. Wondering if anybody has used this with, maybe a Propeller, using C code.

It seems like there is example code and a wiring diagram for a Raspberry Pi, but I wonder if this could be workable with the new P2, and of course the P1.

Thanks

Ray

Comments

• It should work with P1 and P2. I have used 3 of them with P1 to monitor a 3 output power supply, and am planning to use it with P2 when my P2D2 board arrives.
    In science there is no authority. There is only experiment.
    Life is unpredictable. Eat dessert first.
  • I used that device in a commercial product (laser-tag controller). My code is, of course, Spin. That said, it's very simple and you should have no trouble converting it to C.
    Jon McPhalen
    Hollywood, CA
    It's Jon or JonnyMac -- please do not call me Jonny.
  • Re-inventing the wheel is not a waste of time if, when you are done, you understand why it is round.
  • I passed on this module and instead went with INA260 which seems to be better at measuring current and voltage.

I used the one from Adafruit.

Wrote C code to drive it nicely.

Mike
  • iseries mentioned the INA260 module, which I think will be more useful for my purposes. Still have not decided how I will code the program. And, at a minimal I will probably need, to start with, at least four of theses modules, which brings up the question of, how do I make the modules available on the I2C buss.

I also looked at Jon's jm_ina219.spin program, I wonder how that would work with the flexGUI IDE. The last time I used the spintoc part of flexGUI, to convert some Spin code to PropGCC, I was not able to make the PropGCC code work correctly.

I will probably be collecting the INA260 data, continuously, and feeding it to an SQLite database, for further analysis. These are just a few things that I have in mind.
  • JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 6,270
    edited 2019-11-11 - 20:32:39
    how do I make the modules available on the I2C buss.
    Both device types have A0 and A1 (address) inputs which allow up to for devices on the bus.
    I also looked at Jon's jm_ina219.spin program, I wonder how that would work with the flexGUI IDE. The last time I used the spintoc part of flexGUI, to convert some Spin code to PropGCC, I was not able to make the PropGCC code work correctly.
    My object will work if you write your code in Spin or in FlexC.

I've attached a demo program that uses four of my Spin objects without modification/conversion -- one that launches a PASM cog (serial io). Interesting, the C binary image was a little bigger than the identical program written in Spin; this may have to do with overhead dealing with Spin objects in C. Still it works, so I can write C code without walking away from all of my existing objects. Spin is my favorite Propeller language, but it's nice to have C as an option.
    Jon McPhalen
    Hollywood, CA
    It's Jon or JonnyMac -- please do not call me Jonny.
  • yes, the multi-language feature of fastspin is a wonderful thing.

Mike
    I am just another Code Monkey.
    A determined coder can write COBOL programs in any language. -- Author unknown.
    Press any key to continue, any other key to quit

The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT", "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this post are to be interpreted as described in RFC 2119.
  • yetiyeti Posts: 602
    edited 2019-11-12 - 05:05:18
    msrobots wrote: »
    yes, the multi-language feature of fastspin is a wonderful thing.
    https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/169141 has several examples of mixing FastSpin's languages and even one using FastSpin compiled cog PASM output in OpenWrt which turned out to be purely straight forward.
    What I don't see how to do so far: Including/using bytecode Spin in FastSpin LMM code and the other way round. But I dont expect much demand for this. :-)
    ◁ propeller-wiki ▷ ◁ FastSpin ▷ ◁ Help Spin at RosettaCode.org ▷ ◁ No Source – No Go! ▷ ◁ DK-E ▷ ◁ :-D ▷ ◁ Stay OmmmmmmPtimistic! ▷ ◁ Why Asimov's Laws of Robotics Don't Work ▷ ◁ DNA is a four letter word. ▷ ◁ Stop slavery! Free all mitochondria! ▷
  • I put my INA260 driver in the OBEX if you are interested in a C version of the driver.

Mike
  • Thanks Jon, for the excellent examples. I will look into the code to see how your Spin objects work within a C or flexBASIC confine.

Thanks iseries, for a pointer to your libina260 driver. I will also take a closer look at your SimpleIDE implementation for using the INA260.

Now, I have to get a better understanding of the code that has been presented so far before I make a decision as to what I will be using. Will it be SimpleIDE, flexC, flexBASIC, micropython, or, …

Another choice P2 Eval or FLiP module or ...