32-Legged Robot

ercoerco Posts: 19,320
edited November 13 in Robotics Vote Up0Vote Down
Hopelessly complicated, inefficient and just not all that interesting. Someone's tax dollars at work.

https://hackaday.com/2018/11/11/robot-never-misses-leg-day/

"When you make a thing, a thing that is new, it is so complicated making it that it is bound to be ugly. But those that make it after you, they don’t have to worry about making it. And they can make it pretty, and so everybody can like it when others make it after you."

- Pablo Picasso

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Date Added Votes
  • erco wrote: »
    Hopelessly complicated, inefficient and just not all that interesting.
    So your intention to show it here was most likely to bore us to death?
    :-P
    ◁ FastSpin ▷ ◁ Stay OmmmmmmPtimistic! ▷ ◁ No Source – No Go! ▷ ◁ Please help: http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Category:Spin ▷ ◁ Why Asimov's Laws of Robotics Don't Work - Computerphile ▷ ◁ DNA is a four letter word. ▷
  • MIA Duane Degn has a 32-servo driver for the quickstart... maybe this challenge will draw him out of retirement!

https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/137597/quickstart-driving-32-servos-video
    "When you make a thing, a thing that is new, it is so complicated making it that it is bound to be ugly. But those that make it after you, they don’t have to worry about making it. And they can make it pretty, and so everybody can like it when others make it after you."

- Pablo Picasso
  • Looks like it would be good for sneaking up on someone/something.
    In science there is no authority. There is only experiment.
    Life is unpredictable. Eat dessert first.
  • It mostly makes me appreciate the simplicity of the wheel. Also quite stealthy.

- Pablo Picasso
  • erco wrote: »
    MIA Duane Degn has a 32-servo driver for the quickstart... maybe this challenge will draw him out of retirement!

I think he would only need 16. It looks like opposite legs are operated by the same actuator.
  • Yeah, it seems like there are a lot more interesting things to do with 32 (!) servos than just oozing along a two-dimensional trajectory.

-Phil
    “Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery
  • I miss Duane.
  • xanadu wrote: »
    I miss Duane.

Amen Brother Jon! I talked with Duane on the phone a bit after Gordon passed. He's super busy, but was eager to offer Gordon's wife some help with his book. I'll have to follow up.

- Pablo Picasso