Forum Update - Announcement about May 10th, 2018 update and your password.

UGV tracked Platform

NikosGNikosG Posts: 637
edited August 4 in Robotics Vote Up0Vote Down
Hi all,
I came back to the forum with another ambitious project; the creation of an UGV tracked platform.
Is about a medium to large scale robotic platform, with plenty of space to install and test several electronics!!!
Of course cost is bigger than a normal robot but I think that having the right tools and making the right decision about what you must buy you can create a really expensive robot with the minimum cost….
The project is in progress and every time I’ll try to post material of my progress …..
Ok,
Here is my design till now…
size_compare0.jpg
I haven’t finished it yet but I have already gathered all the necessary pieces (from commerce, or modified, or 3d printed or made from CNC) to do that…
As you can see the platform is completed 3D designed and the size will be: 65cmX55cmx40cm.
936 x 720 - 114K

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Date Added Votes
  • Wow! It's great to see a teacher who's constantly pushing the envelope. Your students are going to have a fun year, methinks!

-Phil
    “Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery
  • "... create a really expensive robot with the minimum cost…."

I think you have a small typo there

Mike
    I am just another Code Monkey.
    A determined coder can write COBOL programs in any language. -- Author unknown.
    Press any key to continue, any other key to quit

The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT", "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this post are to be interpreted as described in RFC 2119.
  • That looks powerful enough to push a car sideways.
  • msrobots wrote: »
    "... create a really expensive robot with the minimum cost…."

I think you have a small typo there

Mike

I'm trying to make something like this:

[video]
    Without doupt itis an amazing robot, but the cost is very hight (up to 10.000$)

I think that I have approached very close that robot with about 1200 $ cost....
  • NikosGNikosG Posts: 637
    edited August 10 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Here are all the nessecary parts for the accembly (without the Brain)
    Parts_00_num.jpg

A first general description follows:
    1,2) Rubber trucks BD-A (100mmX40mmX36#)
    3,4) Left and right motors (24V 300Watt RV30 gearbox)
    5, 9) Modified chassis
    6) Motor Holder 3D Printed
    7,8,10,11,12,13,14,15,,16,17,18,19) Parts of chassis
    20) Aluminum motor cover and base for Motor drive, power distribution board and various electronics
    21) Aluminum base for Battery and Brain
    22,23,24,25,26) Aluminum parts of the cover from the top of the robot
    27,28) Motor driver
    29) Power distribution board (Splitter board)
    30) Emergency stop switch
    31,32) Batteries (12V 20AH each)

On the next posts I'll try to focus for every one of these parts, give the costs and the way I made them or the way I modified them ...

1791 x 1027 - 531K
  • I would suggest a remote stop switch. It is likely nobody will wand to get up close to that thing if it is in a bad situation. Props for the idea, though!
  • AMAZING project, Nikos!
    Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
  • Where did you get those motors?
    edited August 13 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Where did you get those motors?

I got them from Alibaba (china).I searched :" 24V worm gear motor "and I had a lot of results...and I bought the cheaper ( 120$ each motor )
    I could choose the gearbox (for me the best solution was the "RV30 gearbox output speed 50-60 RPM" (I'll explain on next post how we can choose the right gear box )
    motors_24V_%20300w_RV30%20.jpg

I also made a pair of aluminum couplers (here in Greece) in order to attach motors on my chassis.
    Motor_cooplers.jpg
    The cost was 60 euro (I can say that was much more expensive than Motors!)
    840 x 645 - 166K
    912 x 684 - 222K
    edited August 17 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Yesterday was the first outdoor test....
    Some photos:
    farm_robot_all.jpg
    1280 x 1203 - 894K