Carol's Christmas Challenge 2017

2»

Comments

• Sheesh Erco! I watched the video several times before it hit me what you were referring to!
    Carol Lynn Hazlett
    carolhaz391@gmail.com

In the birthing of any machine there is that moment when it actually works. It is always fresh and astounding for me...............Red Whittaker

• Great!
    Jim
  • Along the lines of your skull, Carol, I grabbed a few of these "brain" jello mold from Dollar Tree before they disappeared after Halloween. They could make a cool robot chassis or upper body for a "Brain Bot". Fairly stiff, and translucent, so a few LEDs inside would show through pretty well.

20171101_200230.jpg
    720 x 900 - 221K
    "When you make a thing, a thing that is new, it is so complicated making it that it is bound to be ugly. But those that make it after you, they don’t have to worry about making it. And they can make it pretty, and so everybody can like it when others make it after you."

- Pablo Picasso
  • That would make a good robot body. Brainiac. the Living Brain. Donovan's Brain. The Brain Eaters. Brain from Another Planet.
    Carol Lynn Hazlett
    carolhaz391@gmail.com

In the birthing of any machine there is that moment when it actually works. It is always fresh and astounding for me...............Red Whittaker

• Maybe there's a Jarvis vs Ultron match in the offing.

"When you make a thing, a thing that is new, it is so complicated making it that it is bound to be ugly. But those that make it after you, they don’t have to worry about making it. And they can make it pretty, and so everybody can like it when others make it after you."

- Pablo Picasso
  • It's a bit after Halloween, but here is a couple of videos showing my Darth Vader Candy dish mod I did using the Parallax Halloween Pumpkin project.

Instead of a PIR sensor, I opted for a IR sensor which is triggered when someone reaches into the top candy dish area. I created separate circuits for the Audio and the IR Sensor and added a 5v regulator for these parts of the circuit.

Initially, the eyes of the Vader head were too dark and did not show the Red Light from insider so I cut them out. The only thing I had available were some ESD bags so I cut one up to cover the eyes. I need to find a better solution, but since I am running this off of 6v rather than the 7.2 Power Pack, the 12v light would not light up so I added some LEDs. These are not that bright so I still need to work on that. It's still a work in progress, but it's a Vader candy dish so it's for all seasons.

Circuit Vid:

Completed IR Activated Vader Candy Dish
  • Great Darth project, JonM! Tweak it a bit for Christmas! :)

- Pablo Picasso
  • erco wrote: »
    Great Darth project, JonM! Tweak it a bit for Christmas! :)

Thanks.

Ah, yes. Darth Santa has been considered.

• localroger wrote: »
    The spinning laser rig is basically a light spirograph. It makes trippy patterns you don't have much control over. It is a neat thing though, easy to build and fun to play with. I left mine with a *cough* party in the late 1990's and they ran the battery down watching it on what I was assured were a wide array of psychedelic assistants. All you have to do is mount a mirror on the shaft of a DC motor slightly tilted, so that if a beam hits it the reflection will spin. Aim the laser at two or three of them in succession and you get neat patterns on the wall.

If you want to make deliberate patterns it gets expensive fast, and if you want to make those patterns in colors it gets like five figures expensive even at the hobby level. Again it's not so much the lasers; lasers are cheap now, even RGB lasers, even high power lasers that can cut holes in cardboard. What's expensive now is the steering controls. The hardware for that hasn't changed much since 1990; it was expensive then, and it still is. The lasers are cheaper and the computer to run the show are cheaper but whipping those mirrors around in milliseconds in a guided manner still requires some pretty nontrivial hardware.

Right about expensive, laser would be < couple percent of the cost depending on your optics in the past. Now, it looks like galvos and drives are much less for low end work. The fun part would be basically programming up your laser scanned vga projection like a monitor would do or you could go the vector route. Then you have the A/O modulator and driver to set the intensity. So it would be reinventing the vga or vector monitor to do one.
    Be about ten Christmases away if I even had the time to try.
    Ordnung ist das halbe Leben....
    Ich lebe in der anderen Hälfte
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 21,321
    edited November 6 Vote Up0Vote Down
    ... Brainiac. ...
    OMG! That was my first "computer", the Brainiac K-30:

http://www.oldcomputermuseum.com/brainiac_k30.html

Properly configured, it could play a mean game of tic-tac-toe!

-Phil
    “Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery
  • Anyone interested in controlling their Christmas lights with a Prop?

https://store.griswoldfx.com/kits/
    Feel the need for speed between your PC's com port and Prop?
    Try the FTDI 245 and the FullDuplexParallel Object.

Check out my spin driver for the Parallax "96 x 64 Color OLED Display Module" Product ID: 28087