Don't Put LEDs on your Starbucks Cup

From another forum: British bomb squad called in to detonate a coffee cup found with some electronics attached, possibly a STEM data logger. Somewhere between silly and sad. Don't be THAT GUY!

http://www.thecomet.net/news/stevenage-bomb-scare-small-explosion-heard-after-bomb-squad-attend-suspicious-coffee-cup-device-found-near-tk-maxx-1-5211919

http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?30258-Bomb-scare-caution
"When you make a thing, a thing that is new, it is so complicated making it that it is bound to be ugly. But those that make it after you, they don’t have to worry about making it. And they can make it pretty, and so everybody can like it when others make it after you."

- Pablo Picasso

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Date Added Votes
  • Hopefully it wasn't a micro hitchbot. I wish the photo were higher resolution. Any idea what the thing on top is?
  • Starbucks writes your name on the cup... Would be fitting if it said Unibomber. Surely the java was a high-energy blend, possibly named "Brazilian Blast".

The article never clearly says it was a mistake.

It wasn't a "viable device".

"Small explosion heard after bomb squad attend suspicious ‘coffee cup’ device" was a bomb squad blast to try to trigger it. Not unlike:

"When you make a thing, a thing that is new, it is so complicated making it that it is bound to be ugly. But those that make it after you, they don’t have to worry about making it. And they can make it pretty, and so everybody can like it when others make it after you."

- Pablo Picasso
  • Interesting concept. Both the scene and the response.
  • It's a sign of the times. The M1 was shut for ten hours because of a 'suspicious package' under a bridge and the M3 likewise a few days later.

Many years ago I had to take some scientific equipment through Heathrow. It was a foam-filled Aluminium flight-case with a large fibre-glass sphere in the middle. The sphere was filled with butane and six wires ran from the surface of the sphere to a data-logger powered by 4 D-cells. The LCD of the logger counted-down the time remaining for the experiment - but only when a large toggle-switch was thrown. Being a one-off, it had a certain "home-made" look about it. As it went into the X-ray machine my opening gambit was "I think you'll want to talk to me about that...". Luckily I had a letter from the head of security.
    South Saxons - "we wunt be druv".
  • Hugh,
    ...large fibre-glass sphere...filled with butane and six wires ran...large toggle-swictch...
    Sounds like a beautiful thing. What on Earth was the experiment about ?

I pretty much always get hauled up the X-ray check. My bags are always full of circuit boards, wires, batteries and odd looking gadgets. Last time including an IR video camera, which being flat and round with a solid alloy case it looked like some kind of land mine!

I'm always surprised they never give me a hard time about it. They just pull a few things out and stuff their explosives sniffer probe in there. Then let me pack it all again.

I will be attaching LEDs to coffee cups whenever I can now.

• These days, the only place where most people want/expect to see wires, blinky LEDs & mysterious gadgets is at Maker Faire or the upcoming Parallax EXPO 2, where anything goes. But don't tell that to the the bad guys!

- Pablo Picasso
  • Heater. wrote: »
    Sounds like a beautiful thing. What on Earth was the experiment about ?
    It flew back and forth across the Atlantic for a while. It's job was to detect and record cosmic radiation as part of a study into the possible effects on passengers / crew / equipment. At the time fifteen years ago), some EU legislation was coming into play that said any industry that exposes staff or members of the public to radiation must track their exposure - this definition included frequent flyers / crew and the experiment was to gather some data as background. Using recorded flightpaths and satellite detections of bursts is now being used to track exposure.

Foil hats and lead-lined aprons (which people use to "protect" their reproductive organs) do not work!
    South Saxons - "we wunt be druv".