Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Prop1 to 7" 800x480 touch screen (raspberry 7" HD) — Parallax Forums

Prop1 to 7" 800x480 touch screen (raspberry 7" HD)

Has anyone tried to get the larger 7" 800x480 touchscreen working with Propeller? Looking to help someone drop their Pi on a project.. he actually has the Pi and 4 Arduinos all doing very little...

Any info on this greatly appreciated.

Comments

• jmgjmg Posts: 15,148
    veluxllc wrote: »
    Has anyone tried to get the larger 7" 800x480 touchscreen working with Propeller? Looking to help someone drop their Pi on a project.. he actually has the Pi and 4 Arduinos all doing very little...

What interface is the LCD using & how many bpp - many Pi LCDs are HDMI, and that's not going to fly on P1.
    Even if it is parallel LCD, your next issue is where to put all those pixels ?

The Pi is quite good as a Memory -> HDMI solution.

• It's cheaper just to buy a cheap tablet and connect via serial-usb. I'm writing an app at the moment which turns the tablet into a graphics/terminal screen (plus keypad). From the P1 of course.
  • Hi, I worked around a 800x480 screen recently, see this thread:
    http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/166681/help-needed-with-vga64-tmpengine-solved
    I did not use Pi, but a cheaper screen from EastRising (ER-TFTV070-3); its driving card provides inputs for composite video, vga and hdmi (please note that I am in no way connected with EastRising; just found this device on the internet and purchsed it for my own use).
    To drive the screen, I modified the "VGA64_TMPEngine" object from OBEX, by Kwabena Agyeman, as you can see on the above mentioned thread. It works by tiles, then it is not so good if you want to show images. This screen comes with a built-in resistive touch panel, which is not good for my use, then I am replacing it with a capacitive panel. I am currently working on translating the panel driver to spin.
    If you think I might be of any help, let me know.

Regards from Italy
    Leonardo
  • It's cheaper just to buy a cheap tablet and connect via serial-usb. I'm writing an app at the moment which turns the tablet into a graphics/terminal screen (plus keypad). From the P1 of course.

Totally agree. I have been doing this for over 5 years now although I use Bluetooth. Why have a dedicated HMI at all anymore? They are subject to abuse and when they fail, you're dead in the water.
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,903
    You can do 800x480 with SSD1963...

I posted some code to do that near the end of this thread:
    http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/138121/

• T ChapT Chap Posts: 4,198
    edited 2017-06-26 22:56
    What about the EVE2? I built a board to use the 7 new haven cap touch using the eve2. I haven't assembled the board yet.