Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
(Yet another) Robot Project — Parallax Forums

(Yet another) Robot Project

MacGeek117MacGeek117 Posts: 747
edited 2017-05-02 01:41 in Robotics
It's all erco's fault....
His fantastic eBay deals have started me off on another project, this time on a tank chassis.

The chassis itself popped up as a suggested item from one of his deal posts, and I just had to have it. :)

The chassis is very well built, but it does not come with any assembly instructions (not surprisingly).
Found this link after a couple hours of searching:
http://smaring.com/enhanced-edition-shock-absorption-robot-tracked-tank-car-chassis-crawler-climbing-obstacle-caterpillar-model_p0218.html

Pretty easy to figure out once we got an up-close look at the suspension system.

Supposedly this can carry 10lbs, and That may not be far off. I placed a 3lb battery on it and the suspension barely sagged.

This will be a rather long project as I'm building it with a friend who is in college (and busier than all-get-out).

Yesterday was the first day of construction, zero issues with assembly so far.

Here is the first set of pictures, videos to follow later this week.

P.S. Thank you, erco for setting me on this path!

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    Whats a beauty, Peter! First challenge? Get it to do a figure 8 and share in that thread! :)
  • That is one of the plans, same for my other swarm project.

Speaking of which, also picked up some RF transceivers for this bot, and I'll also be able to use them in my swarm.

Brain will be a couple Props, custom PCB (found what seems to be a good place to get them made: www.easyeda.com - least expensive place I've found so far).

Not sure what all of the sensors will be, but we're thinking about putting one of these on to follow people.

Either ultrasonic or infrared distance sensors for object avoidance. Do you guys have any comments on which might work better for indoor environments?