Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
DENON AVR-788 RED LIGHT OF DEATH — Parallax Forums

DENON AVR-788 RED LIGHT OF DEATH

Have the red light of death on my Denon AV 788 Surround sound receiver.
Went to Youtube and saw a number of people who had success by changing out the Power Supply Board Linear Voltage Regulators.
I purchased 4 new regulators from Mouser Electronics; each were the correct part numbers.
I did a bench check of the old regulators and found that the old 7508A was at 605 & 1601 in diode mode, so I figured that was the bad regulator.
The new regulator read 619 & 676 (Connecting the positive to the center terminal & negative at each end). After replacing the new part, I still got the Red Light of Death. I plan on changing out the other three regulators just to see if it may solve the problem. Short of mailing the unit out to a shop, is there any advice on what could be the culprit?

Thanks for any constructive input!

Bucko

Comments

• I thought the usual coarse of action, when repairing electronics more than a few years old, is to replace electrolytic capacitors?

I think bad caps is a common problem with audio equipment.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    Could be caps or anything these days, hard to say. One site estimated over $100 to repair. Doesn't make sense when you can buy a used working unit for $70: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Denon-AVR-788-7-1-Channel-120W-Receiver-Great-Condition-/252814706632

In fact, just having a working unit on the bench next to yours can help you troubleshoot your problem and zero in on a fix. Compare readings to localize the fault, fix yours, then keep or sell the second unit.

My very first electronics repair job many moons ago was fixing a Pioneer SX-550 receiver, one channel was dead. I knew nothing about electronics but I dove in with a multimeter, comparing the good & bad channels to isolate the fault. Swapped out a $1 transistor and that receiver still works well today.
  • erco
    My very first electronics repair job many moons ago was fixing a Pioneer SX-550 receiver, one channel was dead. I knew nothing about electronics but I dove in with a multimeter, comparing the good & bad channels to isolate the fault. Swapped out a $1 transistor and that receiver still works well today.

Nice story.

From that day forward, your future was set in stone :)
    idbruce wrote: »
    From that day forward, your future was set in stone :)

I love the smell of solder in the morning. Bacon is a close second.
  • MikeDYurMikeDYur Posts: 2,176
    edited 2017-03-29 14:19
    erco wrote: »
    Could be caps or anything these days, hard to say. One site estimated over $100 to repair. Doesn't make sense when you can buy a used working unit for $70: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Denon-AVR-788-7-1-Channel-120W-Receiver-Great-Condition-/252814706632

In fact, just having a working unit on the bench next to yours can help you troubleshoot your problem and zero in on a fix. Compare readings to localize the fault, fix yours, then keep or sell the second unit.

I have had a Pioneer SX-850 on a shelf for years, bad channel. Haven't been into audio for a long while because of small animals in the house. Like it loud!

EDIT: Sorry but I have to take screenshots of my pictures so the size is ok for upload.
  • Still have my SX-1250 from the '70s.

http://classicreceivers.com/pioneer-sx-1250

Best combo ever made.
  • MikeDYurMikeDYur Posts: 2,176
    edited 2017-03-29 16:31
    Publison wrote: »
    Still have my SX-1250 from the '70s.

Best combo ever made.

The 1250 was the monster. Buddy of mine got that one, they sure made the 70s ROCK!. What speakers did you you get for that. I think I bought the biggest they had:

EDIT: I remember now, they were the smallest in the HPM series that had walnut veneer cabinet. The HPM-60 had some kind of vinyl covered compressed wood, if I remember right.
    I still have several Realistic (Radio Shack) speakers, giant Mach Ones and a smaller pair of MC-somethings. Had to replace all speaker surrounds with new foam ones, still sound good. Let's hear it for ferro-fluid cooled tweeters!
  • MikeDYur wrote: »
    Still have my SX-1250 from the '70s.

Best combo ever made.

The 1250 was the monster. Buddy of mine got that one, they sure made the 70s ROCK!. What speakers did you you get for that. I think I bought the biggest they had:

EDIT: I remember now, they were the smallest in the HPM series that had walnut veneer cabinet. The HPM-60 had some kind of vinyl covered compressed wood, if I remember right.
    Back the, Bose 901's were all the rage, so I had to have them. :)

Then I got some Altec-Lansing Voice of the Theater from the band that I did sound for.

http://www.audioheritage.org/html/profiles/altec/vott.htm

The A5X. That Pioneer would drive the heck out of them.

But we are derailing this thread, although it has nothing to do with Parallax. I may have to sink it.

• I think we had this discussion before, but I didn't know how to spell de ja vou.
  • Don MDon M Posts: 1,647
    I have a 1250 along with a pair of HPM-100's

• Don M wrote: »
    I have a 1250 along with a pair of HPM-100's

My grills still look pretty good to, sometimes hard to do, when they're involved in a move or two along the way.

3264 x 1836 - 1M
    edited 2017-03-29 18:47
    But we are derailing this thread, although it has nothing to do with Parallax. I may have to sink it.

Wait, how can I hook up a Propeller to control my audio receiver?

Phew, that was close!

Actually I just liked the "red light of death" phrase. Hoped it was lasers on sharks or thereabouts.

• RickBRickB Posts: 395
    edited 2017-03-30 23:02
    Are you very certain of the part #? I find no credible mention of a 7508 regulator on the web. 7805 is a common p/n and is mentioned in references to Denon products. The center pin in the TO220 pkg is usually grounded in a negative ground power supply.

Did you actually measure voltages before buying parts?
  • Ron CzapalaRon Czapala Posts: 2,418
    edited 2017-04-01 19:51
    erco wrote: »
    I still have several Realistic (Radio Shack) speakers, giant Mach Ones and a smaller pair of MC-somethings. Had to replace all speaker surrounds with new foam ones, still sound good. Let's hear it for ferro-fluid cooled tweeters!

I have the RS Mach Ones too! Replaced the foam surrounds on the 15" speakers quite a few years ago.
    The cabinets still look new - used a Wipe-On polyurethane.
    Crank them up and they will blow out match...

I had a Sony receiver that starting giving me fits - the back channels would cut out. Reseated some connectors and it would work for a while then mess up again.
    After some more issues, I junked it and bought a Yamaha RX-V481BL - really pleased with it!
    Crank them up and they will blow out a match...

Hadn't thought to try that! This VC looks like fun too, whether extinguishing fire or igniting fire rings.