Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Friday Quiz — Parallax Forums

Friday Quiz

What is it, and -- for extra points -- what was it called?

whatsit.jpg

If nobody gets it, I'll post the answer on Sunday.

-Phil
210 x 162 - 7K

Comments

• This is a radiation detector. Did some digging, "cutie pie"

• ErNaErNa Posts: 1,742
    edited 2017-02-25 13:47
    Can't be: all radiation is savely enclosed in warheads and NPP's, so no need to have a detector. I guess, it's a trufluencer. From the tension in the wrist you can see, the objective is very very, extremely ordinary lightweight, believe me, and soon, very very soon, long before shedule, very very different from the P2 the PT will come out and show the inner values, being a constitrumption of simple logical elements that can create a 4-5 (at least) dimensional projection of a reality were positive things are distributed equally and concentrated in one single point so realizing a diverted augmented reality where servants are equipped with arms of very extraordinary length that can handle a Pizza in place while being placed in the antipode.
  • potatohead wrote:
    This is a radiation detector.
    But for what kind of radiation?

-Phil
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    IIRC alpha and beta. Used to repair those or very similar units.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    kwinn got that faster than my Fahnestock clip quiz!
    erco wrote: »
    kwinn got that faster than my Fahnestock clip quiz!

Fond memories of that piece of equipment. As a joke I chased one of the field service co-coordinators around the office threatening to shoot her with my "ray gun" for nagging me about my paperwork.
  • I was thinking some type of Geiger counter, Infrared thermometer, radar gun, or strobe tach.
  • However a simple cut and paste to google images brings it right up.
    Another "what izzit" quiz, repeated here. Please don't say what it is, geezers, that would spoil the fun. Let the millennials guess. Must be some kind of logo, right?

flat,800x800,075,f.jpg
  • Looks like one of those disks that you shoot out of a toy gun.
  • I used that one in my class last year. None of the kids had a clue!

-Phil
    edited 2017-02-25 23:07
    Early radiation or hazmat logo?

Top view of Trump?
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Oh what?

I'm a "geezer" and I have no idea !
  • Does this have anything to do with SPIN?
  • erco wrote: »
    Another "what izzit" quiz, repeated here. Please don't say what it is, geezers, that would spoil the fun. Let the millennials guess. Must be some kind of logo, right?

flat,800x800,075,f.jpg

Do I get 45 guesses?
    You spindletons are going in circles.
  • This one is too easy. These are the inserts you use on your old 45 record's . I know I used to use them
  • And it relates to Spin because they spin on your turntable
  • DigitalBob wrote: »
    This one is too easy. These are the inserts you use on your old 45 record's . I know I used to use them

I think you have it, remember using something like that once or twice.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Of course! Slaps head.

But where or when were those adapters a common thing?

I had stacks of 45's as a kid. Original Beatles and Stones etc. Only once or twice did I ever see or use such an adapter. Most had the right sized hole!

Jeez, that was over 50 years ago!

• Haha, I thought centrifugal force clutch... I had a record player and I do not remember these.
  • Loved those guns.
  • I got mine in the store, right next to the records. They would give them away, printed with a logo.
    So retro...

IMG_8130_original.JPG

45RPM.jpg

45-rpm-record-insert-adapters-custom-printed-key-all.jpg

accessories-handmade-wood-45-rpm-record-adapter-clock-1_large.jpg?v=1470599890

45adapter_5.jpg
  • Cool jewelry!
  • When the kids in my class asked for a hint, I told them it had something to do with RPMs. But, being a robotics class, that sent them off in a totally wrong direction: clutches, encoders, etc. :) Finally, one kid asked his mom, who recognized the device, and he reported back to the class. I think the others were about to kill me, for what they perceived as a red herring!

-Phil
    When the kids in my class asked for a hint, I told them it had something to do with RPMs. But, being a robotics class, that sent them off in a totally wrong direction: clutches, encoders, etc. :) Finally, one kid asked his mom, who recognized the device, and he reported back to the class. I think the others were about to kill me, for what they perceived as a red herring!

-Phil

Haven't laughed this hard in a long time. Great thread. Hope there will be a quiz every Friday.
    kwinn wrote: »
    Hope there will be a quiz every Friday.

7686_54641_p1.jpg

capacitors.jpg