Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Win10 Holographic Robot — Parallax Forums

Win10 Holographic Robot

A few cool features.

Comments

• Okay, that's pretty cool but I have a hard time with the line "adding displays to the robot would increase the cost".
    So instead of adding a $35 Android pad, they use a $3000 headset.

I don't see this as a big cost saver.

Of course I still want one but I blew my HoloLens budget on a Chronos 1.4.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    edited 2017-01-30 01:22
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    Of course I still want one but I blew my HoloLens budget on a Chronos 1.4.

No rush, even on Microsoft's part. This just in today.

https://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-hololens-alex-kipman-interview-ar-vr/

AR, VR, pity no one's into real reality anymore.

qRH4vxw.jpg

• erco wrote: »
    AR, VR, pity no one's into real reality anymore.

I personally think robots are RR (real reality).

They exist in the real world.

Before I seriously started building robots, I was interested in animation.

I started out trying to make a stop motion video using a green screen and Lego minifigures. It was insanely hard. It was really hard to get the lighting right on my stop motion set. There were lots of other tasks required to make a stop motion animation I thought were really really hard to do correctly.

At the same time I was attempting to make stop motion videos, I also started learning to use a CAD program for making virtual Lego sets. People were making virtual Lego sets and then rendering them photorealistically using ray-tracing software.

I soon abandoned my stop motion attempts and switched my efforts to making computer generated animations. Rather than using keyframes to generate the animations, I wrote computer algorithms to move the various virtual pieces.

Here are a couple of my attempts at making algorithm based animations.

(Skip to 2:38 to see a group of minifigs walking.)

I thought it was a lot of fun to get these virtual models to move. I then started learning to use microcontrollers and I started learning how to make things move with motors and servos in the real world. I found making things move in the real world a lot more satisfying than making computer animations.

I think robots and other real world objects which can be controlled with motors and servos qualify as RR (real reality). And unlike the guy in the picture, I think RR is the BEST game ever.

• Did you loop the first part of that video? Like "Clay-mation" , it was a lot of work at 15+fps. Was this published? Or just a hobby project.

Agreed, I used to do animations on the Atari, I think the program was called Movie Maker. Anyway reality is way more fun over virtual.

You should of had a half hour on Saturday mornings, yours is a whole lot better than some of those foreign animations.
    That's awesome Duane! Not a single marching soldier out of step, and no one tripped over a Lego peg! Seriously well done.
  • MikeDYur wrote: »
    Did you loop the first part of that video? Like "Clay-mation" , it was a lot of work at 15+fps. Was this published? Or just a hobby project.

The single minifig walking was done at 30 fps but it didn't take a lot of work on my part once I had the algorithm figured out. Those were all computer generated images. A program written in C would position all the pieces for each frame and generate the code required for the ray-tracing software (POVRay IIRC). The computer would then work for a few hours (or more) rendering bitmaps of each frame.

This was all a hobby.

My point to all that was making robots move in real life is more fun than moving pixels on a computer screen.

• erco wrote: »
    Not a single marching soldier out of step

Actually all the soldiers mess up as they turn. They were supposed to pivot on one foot but they end up jumping from one position to the next without moving in between.

Just do it!

• kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    My point to all that was making robots move in real life is more fun than moving pixels on a computer screen.

I agree, making things move in real life is more fun than moving pixels on a screen, but both are fun.
    To me both your animations and robot projects are impressive for the creativity, amount of work, and patience that goes into producing them. Please keep up the good work.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Yes, both are fun. So combine them. Do them both. Example: