Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PropellerIde and Raspberry Pi — Parallax Forums

PropellerIde and Raspberry Pi

hobbyProgrammerhobbyProgrammer Posts: 9
edited 2017-01-28 01:10 in Propeller 1
Installed PropellerIde 0.38.5 onto my Raspberry Pi (noobs 2.1.0). It will not write/program my Propeller quickstart board
With Openspin- it kind of acts like it blinks the quickstart board and stops
with bstc see picture

appreciate any help, thanks
http://forums.parallax.com/utility/thumbnail/119511/FileUpload/c3/520b83726de4df4a2bf7234e1b3db0.jpg

Comments

• hobbyProgrammerhobbyProgrammer Posts: 9
    edited 2017-01-28 01:39
    I orignally had SimpleIDE in my subject and in the body.
    My mistake I mean PropellerIDE
    sorry
  • avsa242avsa242 Posts: 430
    edited 2017-01-29 12:42
    hobbyProgrammer,

There's an open issue for this on github: issue #43, https://github.com/parallaxinc/PropellerIDE/issues/43 (note despite the title, it affects all platforms, not just MacOS)
    Regarding bstc, IIRC, BradC, the original author, only ever built an x86/Intel target, and it's closed-source "abandonware", so this unfortunately isn't an option on ARM boards like the Pi (I think someone else in that issue tried the very same thing with the same results).
    I was only able to work around it by programming the Propeller manually on the command line after it'd been built using the IDE, or by modifying the PropellerIDE source and building it manually (though I don't know C++ or QT5 well enough to know if it's the right way to fix it).

Cheers,
    Jesse

• ceptimusceptimus Posts: 135
    edited 2017-01-29 13:57
    I got the IDE working for editing and uploading (F10) with my Propeller hat and PI 2 model B.

The Pi uses BCM17 as the reset line - this sits high and pulls low for a reset. On the Propeller hat this is directly connected to the propeller chip's RES/ pin without the usual transistor and capacitor arrangement used on the demo boards or Propeller Clip/Plug that detects edges on the DTR or RTS pin and uses those to drive RES/

The Pi GPIO pins to use are 6 or 14 for GND, 8 for TXD (data out of Pi), 10 for RXD, and 11 for the reset.

I'm using the (Pi version) PropellerIDE Version 0.36.7

In Preferences, I have the Compiler set to /usr/bin/openspin and incudes set to /home/pi/propeller - which is the folder where I keep my Spin source code files.
  • You only need a 10k pull up on the reset line, the capacitor is not needed.

Just make sure you pull gpio 17 low long enough.

Manually this works:

gpio -g mode 17 output
    gpio -g write 17 0
    gpio -g write 17 1
  • ceptimusceptimus Posts: 135
    edited 2017-01-31 17:10
    The other thing that confuses people about the Pi Propeller hat is the EEPROM. This EEPROM is not connected to the propeller chip at all and in any case is not large enough to store the propeller chip code in the normal way. So the Pi must download the propeller program to the hat whenever the propeller has been powered down. The small EEPROM that is present on the propeller pi hat is wired to the PI I2C interface and is there to allow the Pi to automatically recognize what sort of hat is present - though I don't know if any applications actually make use of this feature.

If you want to fit a 'normal' propeller EEPROM you can purchase a DIP EEPROM 24LC256 or 24LC512 chip and wire it up in the breadboard area - you only need the chip plus one 10K resistor.

I ended up wiring my Pi Propeller hat to a cheap Chinese 3.3V FTDI so I could use it with a regular PC rather than the Raspberry Pi. This was mainly because my Pi only has a small screen and keyboard which were awkward to use for programming.