Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
LM2596 (knockoff) eBay board max rating test — Parallax Forums

LM2596 (knockoff) eBay board max rating test

xanaduxanadu Posts: 3,347
edited 2017-02-23 17:11 in Robotics
Pushing the limits with the $1 SMPS.

tl;dr -
I baked the PSU 70c over maximum rating continuous without permanent damage. The board itself failed the reverse input polarity test.

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,250
    Nice video! Love that magic smoke.

What video editor are you using? Great fast forward feature & subtitles.
  • Thanks. I did this on my laptop using the latest Windows Movie Maker because my desktop was down. I normally use Premiere which is ultra-easy to use, but I have to say Windows MM is not as bad as I remember. The one thing it doesn't do is picture in picture, which I need for the RC FPV videos.

I've been looking for Adobe CC alternatives, one I like so far is called Lightworks, and has PiP. https://www.lwks.com

My new motto is, if you're going to spend any money on making videos, get a decent mic and lighting first. I should have been spending money on that stuff, not video editing software. I'm glad to be rid of Adobe CC bill...
  • "Is it dinner time? I think it's dinner time."

Great video. I have been wanting to do this myself. Now I don't have to. Thank you!
  • Thanks Nick!
    LM2596 lives matter!
  • erco wrote: »
    LM2596 lives matter!

I wonder if that's why they make datasheets? Nah.

edited 2017-01-18 22:10
    xanadu wrote: »
    Thanks. I did this on my laptop using the latest Windows Movie Maker because my desktop was down. I normally use Premiere which is ultra-easy to use, but I have to say Windows MM is not as bad as I remember.

Win10 doesn't have Movie Maker and as of Jan 10 you can't even download Essentials!

edited 2017-01-18 22:29
    Thanks. I did this on my laptop using the latest Windows Movie Maker because my desktop was down. I normally use Premiere which is ultra-easy to use, but I have to say Windows MM is not as bad as I remember.

Win10 doesn't have Movie Maker and as of Jan 10 you can't even download Essentials!

Edit: There's a 131MB offline installer download link at http://www.howtogeek.com/286552/how-to-replace-windows-essentials-2012-after-support-ends-in-january/

I'm downloading it now, grab a copy for yourself if you may ever want to install in the future. Publison, keeper of the flame, grab a copy for your archives!

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2017-01-18 23:48
    erco wrote: »

Publison, keeper of the flame, grab a copy for your archives!

Thanks for the update! Done!

• xanadu wrote:
    I wonder if that's why they make datasheets?
    The datasheet doesn't matter if the eBay module's chip is counterfeit! :)

-Phil
  • xanaduxanadu Posts: 3,347
    edited 2017-01-19 03:05
    xanadu wrote:

-Phil

I'm just getting up to speed on that. I didn't measure ripple in the video. There was so much of it I thought I was doing something wrong. While doing some research on that subject, I encountered posts about the lower output frequency. Same thing, I thought I had something wrong with my setup and didn't go into that in the video.

The eBay ad claims 65kHz in the specifications. I wasn't sure if the speed had something to do with an external component or the regulator. Certainly nowhere near 150kHz.

It seems okay at $1 for a small ~500mA adjustable power supply. I'm new to this board and regulator. I didn't know about it until a couple months ago.

I'm split on the counterfeit issue. The stuff I've already mentioned makes sense, but TI allowing it to go on this long seems kind of odd.

Edit: Never mind it says fixed frequency so yeah, these are not TI's LM2596...

• xanaduxanadu Posts: 3,347
    edited 2017-02-23 17:03
    Thanks. I did this on my laptop using the latest Windows Movie Maker because my desktop was down. I normally use Premiere which is ultra-easy to use, but I have to say Windows MM is not as bad as I remember. The one thing it doesn't do is picture in picture, which I need for the RC FPV videos.

I've been looking for Adobe CC alternatives, one I like so far is called Lightworks, and has PiP. https://www.lwks.com

My new motto is, if you're going to spend any money on making videos, get a decent mic and lighting first. I should have been spending money on that stuff, not video editing software. I'm glad to be rid of Adobe CC bill...

Yeah, and I'm an idiot for trying this. I just lost the entire RC joystick tutorial I edited in Windows Movie Maker. NEVER AGAIN!!!

494 x 272 - 25K
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    xanadu wrote:

-Phil

:D
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    Also the reverse input diode can withstand < 3 A. My supply is 30A and that is why it cooked it, but I ran it in
    Thanks. I did this on my laptop using the latest Windows Movie Maker because my desktop was down. I normally use Premiere which is ultra-easy to use, but I have to say Windows MM is not as bad as I remember. The one thing it doesn't do is picture in picture, which I need for the RC FPV videos.

Yeah, and I'm an idiot for trying this. I just lost the entire RC joystick tutorial I edited in Windows Movie Maker. NEVER AGAIN!!!

Windows10 does seem to have an inordinate number of problems with files and storage in general. Almost half of my sd cards and usb drives that work under W7 and earlier as well as Linux either cannot be read or have errors on them.
  • @kwinn How old are those cards? My SD cards seem to last 1-2 years tops, then become a huge liability.

The Windows Movie Maker issue turned out to be mixing two different source video's frame rates. The frustrating part is the software allows you to trash you entire project, with no warnings. It should check the frame rate of an imported clip against the current project. Instead, you can import it, then it gets really buggy, so you save it and restart. Poof, corrupt save file. I should have saved it as a different file name. I never imagined having to keep revisions of a save file, so I bit the bullet and went back to Adobe CC.
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    They range from being purchased as recently as a couple of months ago to 4-5 years ago. I have had some die, but only a few. They range from 2gig to 64gig and all work on my Win7, Linux, Rpi, and Odroid systems. Win10 says almost half of them have some problems but will read the files on them. A few of them can not be read at all using Win10.
    I was using WinMovieMaker and mostly done with a big project, editing video clips from various sources, when I discovered that WMM and WMP can't play AVI files.

C'mon. AVI? Gimme a break. VLC plays everything, no questions asked.

Except HKV format. Don't ask. https://www.filedesc.com/en/file/hkv
  • @xanadu, You can be our official Chinese product tester, and erco can do the sourcing.

That was an awesome punishment test for a power supply. If it was only rated @ .5A, it sure was well designed. Can you post a closeup of the board, I would think it has noticeable discoloration on the board and some components.