Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Merry Christmas to Me: a LASCR! — Parallax Forums

Merry Christmas to Me: a LASCR!

Just found & snagged this OLD Archer Light-Activated SCR. Always wanted one, but ever even seen one before. These were rare in the 80's and moreso now! Can't decide if I should open & use it or put it behind glass!

Same seller has lots of other vintage Shack components.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361841382616

Comments

• I have a whole shoebox full of late 70's RS components still on their cards which I bought for pennies on the dollar when they were discontinued. Also a few never used circuit boards stuffed with never used IC's on sockets. I'm pretty sure no LASCR though.
  • Well if you really like it, you can get nearly 4,000 of them from here:

http://www.dfsales.com/mark/displayresults2.asp?partnumber=MRD920
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    Sapphire, you have hit the mother lode! Thanks for that lead, I will definitely follow up and buy more.

You're like Santa Claus. :)
  • I remember finding some LASCRs in a RS discontinued item bin a long time ago but after trying to use them they didn't seem very useful or rather couldn't get them to switch on. I vaguely remember that maybe they were intended to drive additional photo flash bulb units called slaves in situations where one flash wasn't enough to take the photo, which might explain my impression that they probably needed much brighter than ordinary light. I could be all wrong about them, but anyway at least now there are so many lasers to hit them with.
    VIRAND wrote: »
    but anyway at least now there are so many lasers to hit them with.

Bingo! Good call, exactly where I'm heading. I ordered some from Sapphire's link to test as well.

My LASCR's arrived today, it's play time!
    edited 2016-12-29 21:50
    Hopefully the last of my 2016 bummers. The single Radio Shack part latches, just as I expected and needed. The MRD920's from DFsales don't latch and are much less sensitive. Curiously, the Radio Shack package is marked MRD920. The two parts look very different though. Different package, 2-pin vs 3-pin. At least I only bought 5, not 4000.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    erco,
    Hopefully the last of my 2016 bummers.
    Yes. Enjoy it whilst you can.

Soon the 2017 bummers start....!

Happy New Year

:)
  • MikeDYurMikeDYur Posts: 2,176
    edited 2016-12-30 01:22
    Heater. wrote: »
    Soon the 2017 bummers start....!

Happy New Year

:)

Kant wate. We need to get back to earth, broadcast TV will cure you.

EDIT: