Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
code for color sensor #28302 — Parallax Forums

code for color sensor #28302

In 2003 Jon Williams wrote a program called "color me Tickled" does any one have a working copy of the code? I have worked on this program for a week I need help. It up loads the color sample information but will not sample the colors. I teach Stem and I want to use it in a color scanner. Or do you have a better program?

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    All of the code and the articles for this volume can be found here. I hope this helps.

https://www.parallax.com/downloads/nuts-and-volts-basic-stamps-volume-4

Chris Savage | Engineering Tech | Main Office: (916) 624-8333 | Direct to Tech Support: (888) 997-8267 | www.parallax.com

Visit our forums at http://forums.parallax.com
  • First thank you Chris for the help. I have run the color program from the web site that you directed me to. It don't work so I connected my scope to the LEd, Out Put, S2 and S3. When I change colors the frequency on the output changes I would expect it to. The part that I don't under stand in the data set the numbers don't change when I do a color calibration they should change, they don't. I'm open to suggestions.Has any one ever seen this program work. My first problem was the TCS230. It had no out put. I looked at it under the microscope what a mess bonding glue on the photo receivers gobs of glue around the edges. I'm sure this part was a failure befor it was installed. I'm not that good of a programmer so if you can spare some ideas it would sure help.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2016-12-20 23:50
    WGrenlund,

Welcome to the forum!

1. Do your questions pertain to the older TCS230-DB or to the current TCS3200-DB?

2. Which BASIC Stamp and board are you using this with?

3. Which sensor pins are connected to which Stamp ports?

4. Can you post the program that you're trying to get working?

Thanks,
    -Phil
  • Question#1 the older camera Tcs230-DB
    #2 I am using the usb version of the stamp board.
    #3 p-1 to output P-2 to S2 , p-3 to s3, p-0 to LED, Vcc to +5 volts, Vss to gnd, Vdd to + 5volts .
    #4 I am using the program Jon Williams wrote. Its on Parallax nuts and volts. document web sight.
    I am new to this procedure. It is a long program but I will try if you Dem it necessary.
    Thank you very much for your consern.
    edited 2016-12-21 03:02
    WGrenlund wrote:
    #2 I am using the usb version of the stamp board.
    There are two USB Stamp boards: MoBoStamp-pe (#28300)? Or the Board of Education (#28850)?

-Phil
  • The board of education
    edited 2016-12-21 05:07
    When you say you were able to see a changing frequency output on your scope, was the scope probe connected to the BASIC Stamp pin that receives it?
    My first problem was the TCS230. It had no out put. I looked at it under the microscope what a mess bonding glue on the photo receivers gobs of glue around the edges. I'm sure this part was a failure befor it was installed.

There was never any glue involved in the manufacture of the TCS230-DB, and all devices were functionally tested 100% before shipping. Might the glue have been added later?

-Phil

• The scope was connected to supposed parallel strip off set to the main plug in board. I had four input to the scope connected to s2,s3 LED, and output. When I refer to glue this was done in the manufacture of the part after the die bonding before it was encapsulated. This part never worked. At what level of this part were you involved? You sound very knowledgeable about how this was made.I had to remove the lens cover to see the bare chip and hold it to look in side the part. I didn't remove it from the board. I'm just trying to help the kids. I borrowed this sensor from one of the other engineers that we work with. There are three of us. The school offers nothing. They are soaking this stuff up like a sponge. I just ordered a lot of parts and was stolid off my porch. Its not easy.
    The entire program is #98 on the web sight. Thank you
  • I'm the designer of the board. I have them manufactured, test them here, then sell them to Parallax. I'm sorry to hear that yours had a bad chip. How did you remedy the situation? Are you located in the U.S.? If so, I can send you a replacement board with the newer TCS3200 chip.

-Phil
  • Well Phil I was right. You do have a good under standing of the part. Yes I am in the good old USA. May be you can provide me with a better program.What is the difference of the TCS3200? I am located in the state of Washington.What are you working on now if I may ask. I worked for Weyerhaeuser, designed sensors. I have designed sensors for wood,paper,plants,fish, ships. My work entailed Microwaves, ultra sound, light, lasers. So as you can see my work is mostly Analog. Were are you located? I would appreciate any help I can get. You must be familiar with the program I'm working on. I have worked on this program for @ a month. I wanted to put the sensor on a scanning frame,stop look at a color display the color move to the next color sample.I have every thing working but the color sensor.
  • Email me your mailing address, and I'll get a current version off to you. (My email address is in my profile.) You might even get it tomorrow, since I'm also in Washington State.

The program in Jon's article should work fine. I'm operating under the assumption that your TCS230 has a hardware issue, given your description of the sensor chip's condition.

When you receive the new module, could you send me the old one to my return address, please, so I can have a look at it? I'm curious about what happened to it.

Thanks,
    -Phil