Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
RC Transmitter Trainer Port Joystick - Page 3 — Parallax Forums

RC Transmitter Trainer Port Joystick

13»

Comments

• Awesome I'll have to try that out. Looks way more compact than including the ADC Object.

Do you know if there is a way to buy just the radio transmitter that takes the PPM from the Prop board? In order to control multiple objects we'd want to avoid buying so many $300 radios.

Also, are you taking the input directly from the buttons? If I recall when I made the driver for that joystick I found there were fewer wires than buttons. Essentially the board in the joystick would send pulses through the wires rather than a more direct short circuit.
  • Yeah, you could use a JR or Futaba style tx module that plugs into the back of a controller. You can remove the plastic shell and stuff the PCB inside the joystick. They use PPM or sbus. Here's DSMx in a much more microcontroller friendly package - https://hobbyking.com/en_us/orangerx-dsmx-dsm2-compatible-2-4ghz-diy-transmitter-module.html

The Taranis is $150 and it's module based, so if you want to control something other than FrSky you just pop the tx module mentioned above into it and it's compatible. I've flown everything with it, except Walkera, I could never get that to work. In the video I have an Orange DSMx module plugged in.

The joystick I have has more wires than buttons, every buttons seems to be broken out. I may have missed one or two, but this joystick has been easy to hack. I don't see much use for momentary buttons, except the trigger. A couple of 3 position switches and a rotary encoder would be ideal. Especially if you're not plugging into a transmitter and have to have adjustable expo, gains, etc.