Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Boe-bot to Sumo-bot conversion — Parallax Forums

Boe-bot to Sumo-bot conversion

bmcnichobmcnicho Posts: 40
edited 2016-12-06 02:37 in Robotics
I found this program (attached) to convert the boe-bot to a sumo-bot. I realize that the boe-bot does not conform to mini sumo regulations, but this is only a class competition.

Why does the code treat treat the QTIs differently than the Line Following with QTIs programs do? Why is there a need for lineBits? This code seems so much more complicated than the line following code, or Jessica's Maze Navigation code.

If I use the code as written, how would the breadboard look? I've only used the QTIs for two semesters, and only for line following (twice) and maze navigation (once). I'm still a little bit shaky on them.

Thanks for your help. The kids love this class, and every semester I get thank you notes for teaching it. This will be the first year for an advanced (sumo-bot) class.

Diane

I have e-mailed the author of the code, but it's been 9 years since it was first posted.

Comments

• bmcnicho,

Have you taken a look at the Applied Robotics with the SumoBot text?

This text offers an in-depth look at QTI sensors, and it explains how and why they are used. You might find this information useful in helping you tailor your programs to your Boe-Bot robot.

Applied robotics with the sumobot does explain both the hows and the whys of each subsystem as it develops code. As to your question on why the code is more complicated – one thing that it is trying to do is calibrate the sensors to black and white as it boots up. The reasoning behind it was that the QTI sensors might end up on a wide variety of sumobot courses, and the program typically tries to make sure that it will be able to react to any given sumo ring.
  • I have read that, but since the sumo-bot has a slightly different board than the boe-bot, I can't use it verbatim. It has been extremely helpful though.

I'm not sure about your second paragraph. My knowledge on this is very limited. I was confused why the QTI coding in the Sumobot text is different than the code I uploaded. I did discover that I need to switch all 0's and 1's for the QTIs, and then it worked. That also meant rearranging the BRANCH commands.

So I got it to work, I just don't know why. And there's always that one kid in class who asks....

Thanks for your help.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    bmcnicho wrote: »
    So I got it to work, I just don't know why.

Another Festivus miracle! :)

Nicely done, Diane. Glad to hear you got it working, persistence pays.

My first quick guess: did it require swapping zeros and ones because line following is a black line on a white background and the Sumo ring is the opposite?

I'm swamped though Saturday but then I hope to take a look at the code and see if I can help. Meanwhile, if a kid asks, stall!