Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
New Hexbug Just Arrived — Parallax Forums

New Hexbug Just Arrived

Comments

• I wasn't expecting to hear your voice.

Very cool!

Have you kept these sorts of insects before?

It looks like these things aren't easy to raise. Do you have to monitor the temperature and humidity of the insect's enclosure?

Was there some reason in particular why you wanted this insect? I think it's cool enough not to need another reason but I'm curious why you wanted one. I assume you didn't catch this from your yard?
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    edited 2016-11-25 02:06
    A neighbor teacher gave my homeschooled twins a stick bug (walking stick) when school ended 2 years ago. The novelty wore off and it became my pet. It lived a year, then the wife got me eggs to hatch more stickbugs last year. I have a healthy colony of those going, they are the ultimate low-maintenance pet. When I saw these even more bizarre leaf insects I had to try hatching them. No joy so far hatching the more well known "Giant Leaf Insect", so I tried these Phillipine Leaf Insects and this is the first one that hatched. They can be tricky to raise, so time will tell. It's certainly not optimum, hatching a tropical jungle bug in the wintertime, but that's where we're at! Hopefully she will survive these cold California temperatures and others will hatch.

Besides marveling at their hexapedal motion, I'm intrigued by their ability to reproduce by parthenogenesis. Even without a male, females lay eggs which will hatch more females, then more females, ad nauseum.

Kinda scary for me, I'm already outnumbered, living with 3 females. A bit of help from mother nature and they won't need me or other men at all.
  • Before eBay deals, one motor bots, and F8 there was Phylliidae :)

• erco wrote: »
    Kinda scary for me, I'm already outnumbered, living with 3 females.

Good luck with that, it was my dilemma for years. Being out voted three to one, stick your ground, and don't put anything controversial up for a vote.
  • Neat.