Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
My 5 year anniversary with Propeller — Parallax Forums

My 5 year anniversary with Propeller

ErlendErlend Posts: 612
edited 2016-11-18 12:28 in Propeller 1
It's been 5 years since I got the impulse to restart my interest in embedded tinkering. I googled for suitable platforms, and when I stumbled upon the Propeller, I immediately fell for it - and Spin as well. On the other hand, the arduino way did not seem my way; there was too much of the 'follow this recipe to load all the libraries and drivers, switch on, and it works. I like to know the stuff from the bottom up, so if something unexpected happens I can find out why. Prop & Spin has not let me down. The icing on the cake is this forum.
Fate has had it that I now find myself project manager for a large development project, where developing a mission critical embedded control system is a major part. In my role I am not supposed to / expected to have hands-on understanding of stuff like SPI, I2C, FRAM,, but I do, thanks to Parallax & Forum. Means I get more cred and a better understanding of what is hard and what is not.

So, I just wanted to share this with everyone, and the 'anniversary' is my excuse.

Erlend

Comments

• Congratulations on your new position!
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2016-11-18 13:56
    Congratulations and best wishes for a successful project. Now that you mention anniversaries I believe I started some time in 2011 so 2016 is my sixth year of using the Propeller and following this forum.

Must have a cold one this evening in salute to Parallax and the Propeller P8X32.
  • kwinn wrote: »
    Must have a cold one this evening in salute to Parallax and the Propeller P8X32.

Cheers!

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Yes. Cheers. Have one for me.

Sadly I have not managed to get a Prop into use in my work so far.
  • This got my curious when I was introduced to the Propeller. I found the forum thread where someone said "hey, that sounds like a great job for the Parallax Propeller!" The post was made on 7th June 2011, 02:14 AM. :) seems like forever though!
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    Erland, love your sig line! :nerd:
  • Erland, love your sig line! :nerd:
    Thanks!

• Unfortunately the project I am running is not on Propeller, but ARM+FPGA and Linux, but nothing beats knowing a bit of bit banging.

Erlend