Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Installing BS 2 into Prototype Board Question — Parallax Forums

Installing BS 2 into Prototype Board Question

I am planning on taking my BS 2 from a Board of Education and move it onto a prototype board to make things all on a single board

The new board has a 5V power supply - can I just put +5vdc to pint 24?

I see that the newer boards have a capacitor on the reset pin - the capacitor going to pin 21 Vdd - what does the capacitor do in this case? Does that debounce the reset PB?

Is there anything else I should watch out for with the move?

I remember reading that this is a simple move somewhere

Thanks much for any help

Comments

• You should connect 5v to pin 21, not pin 24. Pin 24 goes to a regulator for higher input voltages. I've been doing this for years with no problems.

I don't see the capacitor on the reset pin that you mention.

• Thanks

The capacitor is between pin 21Vdd and ground on the Rev C Board of Education, The + side to pin 21 and the Reset Button between pin 22 RES and ground side of the capacitor.

I was not anticipating a problem if I do things correctly, but learned long ago with new stuff that asking questions of more experienced people is good if I have any doubts as to where things go

Thanks again
  • The capacitor has nothing to do with reset, it just happens to share the ground connection on the schematic. The 1000 uF cap is there to provide filtering for the +5 power rail.
  • Thanks

The filtering I understand but that is showing where it is threw me a bit - but it would be the filter capacitor for the voltage regulator onboard the BS 2 module also makes sense in hind site

Thanks again for the help
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    That's a big step, good luck! Once you do it right, you'll keep on doing it. DIY boards rock when tuned for minimum smoke. :)