Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Tamiya Arm Crawler - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Tamiya Arm Crawler

2»

Comments

• That looks like fun!
  • When you installed the twin gearbox what did you do for the output shaft?

The included shafts aren't long enough, did you cut the one that came with the crawler in half?

Thanks.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    No... I still have my long output shaft (TWSS)...

Can't honestly recall, I just removed that twin gearbox from an old project and it fit the crawler just fine. I did order another twin gearbox but it's not here yet. Let's figure out what works and share, I don't want the whole forum mad at me for leading them down the primrose path into a box canyon. "Cutting the original shaft in half sounds like a good plan," said Lorena.

Mods, feel free.
  • xanaduxanadu Posts: 3,347
    edited 2016-11-22 23:11
    The twin gearbox came with two short output shafts, probably for the tank tread kit. The crawler has a much longer drive because of the double sets of tracks. I sawed the stock shaft in half (so the left and right drive shaft are not coupled) and it works great. No extra parts needed.

Nice dual motor controller! :)

Hmmm. That doesn't look a whole lot faster than mine. If that's full speed at 4.5 volts, maybe I didn't switch the motors.
    edited 2016-11-22 23:35
    This was around 30% speed. For some reason one channel on the motor controller is slower than the other and will occasionally lose power. I had to slow down the other side to accommodate. I will troubleshoot it, I tried swapping the motors and input channels and it looks like it might be that motor controller you gave me or my radio.

I couldn't find the documentation other than spec sheet. It looks like it's a straight RC signal into each side with no internal mixing. I did the mixing in my radio so one stick controls it. I'll go back and recheck the mix, if it's not that I have other motor controllers laying around.
    If it's the controller I gave you, I stand by my "triple your money back" guarantee. Could well be, as this company has some quality control issues. Not quite ready for American prime time. I'll get you another one if it's bad.
  • It was one channel of the controller. Thanks, but you don't have to replace it. I have a bunch of small controllers I can use.

Adding wii nunchuck and a 2S 500mah Lipo next :)
    BTW here's a look at the grinding job I did on the gearbox to gain some ground/front clearance for getting over obstacles. Originally there was a big square corner here. I mounted it upside down in the Arm Crawler to keep the screw boss intact.

CAM02892.jpg
    2560 x 1920 - 777K
    Better view.

CAM02890.jpg
    2560 x 1920 - 790K
    Before modification: Original edge, gearbox installed in stock position.
    2560 x 1920 - 971K
  • I haven't done that yet. It handles carpet and floor transitions surprisingly well. I'm designing some 3D printed plates. A lower plate for battery and upper for electronics.

I had this RC blowout garage sale and sold all of my lipos that I used for small robots by accident. I guess that's what I get for not building any for this long hehe. I'm waiting on batteries now...
  • erco wrote: »
    Related, I just saw this in a BF sale ad for $200. New Bright (historically a bottom-tier RC company) is really stepping up their game. Anybody could have fun with that robot!

Did anyone here order one of these?

I think it looks cool but I don't think it would be very practical. I don't think the arm is strong enough to do any useful work.

I'm very tempted to get one myself.

edited 2016-11-25 06:55
    I made a couple of plates for some electronic gizmos.

armcrawlerp1.JPG
    1008 x 756 - 274K
    Looking good, Jon.

Robots look so neat & tidy before the rat's nest of interconnected wiring is added! A necessary evil. Guess that's why Arduino shields were invented.
    edited 2016-11-25 21:54
    Thanks. I'm adding a third plate as we speak.

As far as the rat's nest goes...

rats.JPG
    807 x 605 - 211K
    rats.JPG 211.4K
    If I get you a bunch of plates from China, can you make them spin? Looks easy.

edited 2016-11-26 00:19
    The FPV version.

arm%20crawler%20p1.JPG

1008 x 756 - 247K
    MUST. SEE. VIDEO.

Cool!
  • I ran into some issues, I seem to only go forward and backward. No turning.

What's the voltage limit on these motors? I have 1.5v max right now and wasn't sure how high these can go. Thanks.

• Me liiiike.
    Motors good for 3-6V.

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.
  • 6 volts!? What the heck. I smelled some bad stuff around 5v. My VIN is too much for these. The stupid video transmitter requires 7v min and I don't have room for two power supplies. I'm relying on software limits on the Propeller and my RC radio to save the motors from death. I managed to spin one motor so fast it loosened from the driveshaft. That's why it would only go forward and backwards :)

• Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2016-11-26 04:25
    Curse you guys!

I just pulled the trigger on the Tamiya crawler.

Are any of you considering the "iRobot" robot erco mentioned earlier?

It's down to $163 dollars today.

For some reason the link erco provides doesn't work but you can find it with an "irobot" search on the TRU site.
    erco wrote: »
    Related, I just saw this in a BF sale ad for $200. New Bright (historically a bottom-tier RC company) is really stepping up their game. Anybody could have fun with that robot!

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=89074766

C-Multi-Function--pTRU1-23726860dt.jpg

The iRobot bot looks fun but not very practical (as opposed to my other very practical robots). The arm would need to be able to carry a full can of soda for it to pass the "practical" test in my book. Still it looks cool.

Besides the crawler, I also ordered a S3. I think my robot budget is shot for a while.

BTW, fun stuff Xanadu.

• I've been considering it. Now that the price is dropping even more so. It depends on how hackable it is. If the arm is structurally able to handle a small load the frame without electronics seems like a good deal to me. Erco and I spearheaded the arm crawler, you're up :)

The arm crawler is really cool. You have to get the dual motor gearbox. I was able to bolt on a PWM motor controller today because of the code you wrote, and recommended, on Turkey day... years ago. Thanks.

Update: I changed the throttle stick to the knob on the Taranis. Much better choice since you can leave the knob halfway without getting a throttle warning on boot.
  • Congrats on the S3. That and a pen lifter, and wireless tablet programming is on the list.